Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Why do you do this to me?" Kaden asked as I lay on the hospital bed recovering. He was pacing around the room, looking a complete mess. Edna has disappeared a while ago when Kaden came into the room. At first, I pretended to be asleep but he didn't leave. He never said anything either, until now. I stared in reply, not having an answer. He looked to me, sadness filling his eyes. "I really thought I'd lost you for good, you know?" How did he find me anyway? "You're lucky I had some men following you, otherwise you'd be dead." How did I not see them? "I was annoyed they didn't help you, but was kinda glad they mind linked me instead." He walked closer to the hospital bed, towards me. He sat on the edge of the bed, taking hold of my hand. I wanted to take my hand back, but he held onto it tightly. "I've still got one question, why does Red Moon pack want you dead?" I gulped, not wanting to say. I knew this was coming. After all, that man had said that they told every pack. He looked to me when he realised I wasn't going to answer. "Nova, why?"

"I don't know," I whisper. I knew he knew I was lying because he frowned.

"The truth, love," he replied back. Do I really have to tell him? "Tell me, please. If you're in danger, which you clearly are, I need to know. I can't lose you, how many times do I have to say that?" I didn't reply for a few minutes, just staring at him. I didn't know what to say. How could I? After a few minutes, I decide to reply.

"I killed my mother," I whisper. He stared at me, mouth agape.

"Y-you w-what?" Great, he hates me too. I couldn't run. I was hooked up on machines, and I was too scared to rip them off of me. But I had to get away. I start to rip them off, slightly scared of the outcome. How do they do it in the movies? Kaden stops me, though. "What do you mean?" he asks, his voice shaky.

"A rogue came a-and came for me. My mother, she saved me. She went to save me, but got killed instead. My father stepped in and saved me. I killed my mother and unborn sibling," I whisper out, tears streaming down my face. I was remembering every little detail that happened. Everything. How my mother looked when she lay dead on the ground.

"You didn't kill her, love," he tells me, his hands on mine.

"I-I did. My father, he told me. H-he said I did. The pack resented me a-and-"

"They kicked you out and want you dead?" I nodded my head. "You think you killed your mother?" I nod again. It was true. I did. "Love, it wasn't your fault. You didn't kill her, and they shouldn't have done that." I shook my head, rejecting what he was saying. He sighs, pulling me into a hug as I cried. "Shh, you didn't kill her okay? It was the rogue, not you. Your father, he shouldn't have made you think that let alone the entire pack. It's not your fault, okay? Your father was struck with grief. His mate and child was dead, he acted irrationally. It doesn't excuse him from what he did to you, and I'll kill him," Kaden growls out, holding onto me tighter. "No one is going to kill you, got it? I won't let that happen." He's so sweet. What did I do to deserve such a sweet mate? "Can you tell me what happened?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, whispering against his chest. He pulled away, cupping my cheeks.

"Baby, what did they do to you?" Did he mean my old pack?

"Noth-"

"The truth. Don't lie to me, please. I need to know." I thought for a moment. I didn't want to tell him right now. I don't think I could. His hands were still cupped on my cheeks, making my face feel warm. I didn't know whether or not that was because I was embarrassed or because his hands were just really warm. Who knows? "Do you not want to talk about it now?" I shook my head, making him sigh. "We'll talk about this later, okay? When you're ready," he says, placing a kiss on my forehead. Ugh, why did I want him to kiss my lips instead? He stands up and walks out the room, making me frown. Where did he go? After about half an hour, he came back. In his hand, he brought a few tubs of cotton candy. "Now, I hate sharing this..but you're an exception." He opens the tub and puts it on my lap. He stares at me, waiting for me to take some. I shook my head and told him to have the first bit since it was his. He shrugs and takes some, then telling me to eat. He sits on the edge of the hospital bed again as we share the cotton candy.

"So, you don't hate me?" I ask him after a while.

"Why would I hate you?"

"For killing-"

"You didn't kill her, love," he says. "I also don't hate you, the opposite actually." The opposite? Isn't that love? "Oh, no, not love yet. I mean, I just really like you. I'm glad I found you, you know? Thank goodness that I was the one who found you, or you'd be dead."

I hum in agreement, stuffing my face with the sickly cotton candy. It was so delicious, but sickening too. "Did it really take you half an hour to get the cotton candy?" I ask, looking at him. He smiled and laughed, shaking his head.

"No, no. I had to sort something out, make sure you were safe."

"What do you mean? What did you do?"

"Just as Red Moon pack sent out a message to everyone ordering your death, I sent out one to everyone too. If they're to get anywhere near you, they'll be responsible for the destruction of their pack. No one wants that, do they? It'll work. You're safe, love," he takes my hand in his, bringing it up to his lips and kissing it. My cheeks burned red. He smiled, laughing to himself. "You're so cute," he mumbles, smiling down at his lap. My hand was still in his, and it felt right. Why did I ever try running away?

"I'm sorry I tried running away so many times..and for what I said to you. I just didn't want to get attached to you because I didn't want you to hate me when you found out. But I suppose it hurt you, didn't it?"

"Very much. It felt like a sting to the heart." He took in a deep breath, looking to me. "But, I understand."

"You don't know the full story though," I mumble.

"Then tell me."

"I've been betrayed too many times, Kaden. I get attached, and get betrayed." His eyes had lit up, and I could see he was trying to restrain from something. "Kaden? Are you okay?"

"Mhmm," he replied, but it sounded pained.

"Are you sure?"

"You know what's difficult? I've got to try hiding these urges to attack you with kisses. I know it's not your fault, but I bloody love it when you say my name." Again, my cheeks burned. "Are you able to get attached to me now? Now that everything is out?"

"Hopefully, I don't know yet. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I can wait, love."