Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I was waiting anxiously for Kaden and the warriors to come back. It was scary not knowing what could happen. I was scared. What if it was a trap? What if I was suppose to find the note, like I did, and tell Kaden which meant he would go there and attack. It'd be a trap, wouldn't it?

"Luna, he will be okay. They all will," Edna reassured. I was spending some time with her because she was a nice woman. She was sort of like a motherly figure to me. Obviously no one could ever replace my mother, but Edna was as close as it got. She understood me, and for some reason I had found myself open up to her. I'd told her everything about what happened in my old pack and I even cried, a lot. She comforted me though and told me, like Kaden did, that my mother's death was not my fault. It was a hard thing to accept because for so many years everyone, including myself, blamed me.

"I'm still worried about him, what if it were a trap?"

"He will be able to handle himself, don't you worry."

"I'll be back," I quickly say, getting up from the couch.

"Where are you going?" I knew Edna had also got orders from Kaden to keep an eye on me, but I know that wasn't entirely the reason she hung out with me. Well, I hoped it wasn't considering I thought so highly of her.

"Don't worry, I'll be back soon." She frowned a bit but told me to hurry back. I quickly ran towards where they were keeping my dad. I had to tell him to stop the attack,nor whatever it was. It was clear as day that he was behind all this. I just hoped he would listen and stop it. "Hello," I said to him as I walked into his cell. Lucky for me, he was chained up with silver. Painful, I know. But he deserved all this, as much as it killed me to admit it.

I didn't like the sight of him, but it reminded me of how I looked back then. You know, when everyone beat me up. I would constantly get beaten up, and it was awful. Some days I wouldn't, which allowed me to heal. But as I was healing, they'd do it all over again and the healing process would start again.

"What do you want?" he spat out.

"Call it off, please," I spoke, hoping authority but kindness radiated off of me.

"Call what off?" he asked, glaring at me.

"You, well whoever you're working with, sent a note for me to meet somewhere so this pack would be safe. Kaden's gone there to attack, I want you to call it off."

"What are you on about?" he asked, genuinely confused. "We've not ordered some attack or anything, let alone sent you a message. You're a waste of our time, Nova. You're gone, not our problem. The pack don't want to kill you anymore. You're out of our lives."

"Then who are they up against?" I ask, not to him but more to myself.

"I'm sorry, Nova," he suddenly said, just as I was about to leave. Say what? "Your mother just meant so much to me."

"I was your daughter," I said, wanting to leave and not have this conversation. But, I knew we were.

"I know. My little princess. But what happened, happened." What happened, happened? No.

"Beatings every day? Abandonment from my own father who was the only family I had left? People stabbing me in the back? Not just figuratively, but literally. I was practically tortured until I was kicked out and you have the audacity to say what happened, happened. No. You know what, go to hell!" I yell out before leaving his cell and leaving him to rot. I don't care.

"Are you okay? Where have you been?" Edna asked worriedly.

"Kaden aren't against my old pack," I tell her and she looked baffled.

"But they are..they-"

"I spoke to him, my father. He genuinely looked confused. It wasn't them, it's someone else. But who? Who wants me? My father, he said they're over me. They're done with me and I'm not their problem. Who the hell is Kaden up against?!" I question, getting extremely worried.

"It can't be them again," she suddenly whispers to herself. Them? Again?

"Who, Edna?" She doesn't answer me. "Who?" I ask, more stern and demanding this time.

"His worst enemy. The King of the Vampires." What the bloody hell? "That probably explains why there was no scent and how he couldn't track them. They have a scent but they're good at covering it up." Well this took an unexpected turn. "They're not on good terms, Goddess knows why. I mean, they use to be best friends! I can't understand what's happened between them." Best friends? Okay, now this just gets wackier.

"We've got to warm him," I rush out and she tells me she's already done it. "Will he be okay?"

"Kaden has fought and won against Lucien many times. I'm sure he will be fine." I was scared though, what if Kaden wasn't fine? "Probably wanted you so that Kaden would weaken and Lucien would win. They aren't winning anything, though, so I don't get it. Seriously, why they are fighting is beyond me."

"There's obviously a good reason, right?" I ask and she only shrugs. Great, great help Edna. "Do you think their problem will ever be resolved?"

"I don't know, honestly. Vampires have more knowledge than us, I can tell you that. They're quite ancient, but Lucien isn't. He and Kaden also grew up together. Marco too. Although Lucien is a vampire and essentially immortal, he is still a young vampire. His father died, but his mother refused to rule the Vampire kingdom on her own. Therefore,  the role was handed down to Lucien. He hasn't yet found his one true love, but one day when he does she will rule beside him as his Queen. Kaden, well you could say he's the King of Werewolves. People see him as that, and where the Vampires are involved, other packs turn to Kaden despite all the feuds and conflict they may have. So, I don't know why they're fighting but Lucien must have some knowledge that we don't yet know. Something to do with Kaden, or even you. For all we know, you could be one to fill a prophecy or something." A prophecy? As if.

"So, wait. Kaden is like a King?" I ask and she facepalms.

"That's all you got?" I shook my head.

"No, no. I have many questions but..yeah."

"Darling, that makes you an unofficial Queen of Werewolves." Ha, say what?

"Okay..that's, um, interesting. So, this Lucien guy.. He's a Vampire and him and Kaden have some beef? When did it all start?"

"I suppose you could say that. When did it start you ask? My, oh, my. I'd say, three years ago mainly. It was the major thing. Lucien went around destroying other packs. Kaden intervened as he was obviously asked by many packs for help. He helped, but it strained their friendship. From then on they've just had, as you say, beef. No one entirely knows why Lucien started destroying packs. But, Kaden protected the other packs that were targeted. Who knows, maybe Kaden stopped your pack from being harmed?"

"If he did, wouldn't he have known I was his mate? Wouldn't he have come for me?"

"That's true, very true. Maybe your pack hadn't been targeted. But now, this pack is being targeted and for some reason, they want you. Well, they might not. We won't find out until Kaden comes back. I guess."

King of Vampires.

King of Werewolves.

What the hell is going on?