Chapter 26

Bailey

I sat in a patient bed in the infirmary with an IV in my arm. I looked at Daryl sitting across the room with Denise stitching up his shoulder and I just stared at him. Gage was sitting outside not wanting to get in the way even though I told him he wouldn't and Skylar sat right next to Daryl and I heard him tell Daryl "If it hurts you can squeeze my hand." and Daryl told him okay and held onto his hand. 

Gage walked in looked at me and smiled and walked over to me and asked if I was doing alright "yeah I think I am going to try to get some sleep stay in Daryl's sight please." I told him and he walked towards Daryl nodding his head. He sat down next to Skylar and I gazed at my family feeling way to lucky that they were all safe and with me.

I thought of my mom in that moment, it was the first time in a long time I had thought of her and she just popped into my head. I thought about how much she would have loved Daryl and it made me a little sad that he would never get to meet any of my parents ever. 

I quickly shook the thought out of my head and closed my eyes drifting into a dark sleep. 

I woke up and it was dark and I could see no one in sight. I saw one dim light in a bedroom down the hall. I walked, pushing my IV with me, into the lit room I peeked in and saw a sleeping Rick holding a sleeping wounded Carl's hand. I sat down in the chair next to him trying to be as quiet as possible not wanting to wake any of them, I was almost successful but my IV roller thingy squeaked and Rick almost jumped out of his seat.

"Sorry." I said whispering "You're fine don't worry about it." Rick said looking at Carl "You can go get some rest Rick i'll stay and watch Carl." I said trying to get him some sleep. "I'm okay don't worry about it go get rest." he said "Rick go." I said demanding him "Bailey." he started to say but I cut him off "This isn't a choice your going to got to bed and i'll stay with Carl and make sure he's alright." I told him "Fine." he said sighing giving up. 

"Don't worry he'll be fine." I said trying to reassure him "Are you sure?" he asked "No, but I have hope and you should to." "I do. It's just hard sometimes after all that's happened and it just seems like we are never going to catch a brake." "We will." I said trying to sound convinced because honestly I didn't know if I believed it myself. He flashed a sad smile at me and then left and I sat there next to Carl in the chair.

I reached over and grabbed Carl's hand just to let him know someone was there with him. "I love you Carl, we all do. Please get better we all miss you and your jokes." I said feeling tears in my eyes. "I love you Carl and you can't leave this family because I don't think any of us exceptionally your dad and me can handle that." I paused "I miss you bud." I said ending my chat with a sleeping Carl.