Chapter 5: The Invitation

The soft strokes that ran through his hair lulled River to the newfound pleasure of sleep. His mind was free from any and all thoughts and images. It was as though he was lying down on the softest, plumiest clouds of pillow as his body floated in the air. Comfort, warmth, relief, peace and satisfaction all soaked his entire being. His reign ran free and he slept like a dormant volcano. Deep in sleep where time stood still, the months of sleep deprivation was sated until River's slumber was interrupted.

"River, wake up," a voice echoed in the darkness that cloaked his mind. "Wake up."

The soft stroking had vanished, and instead something was pushing at him, shaking him. When the voice continued to break through his unconsciousness, River's sleep started to crumble bit by bit. Regaining his consciousness, River recognized the voice that had awoken him. Serena.

Sunrays illuminated behind his eyelids and River slowly opened his eyes into a narrow slit in order to adjust to the light. Squinting his eyes, River saw a figure hovering over his head through his eyelashes. Blinking rapidly a few times around, River's vision focused and Serena appeared above him with an entertained look on her face.

"I didn't mean to wake you up but we should probably head back," Serena said with a growing smile as River's face scrunched in disbelief. That was the best sleep he's had in a long while. So long that he honestly even forgot how nice sleeping felt.

"How long was I asleep for?" River groaned as he sat up and extended his arms out to stretch.

Looking at the time on her phone, Serena answered amusedly, "a good 40 minutes. You must have been really tired. You passed out like a light!"

Just 40 minutes? River couldn't believe his ear. For months on end, River was like an insomniac, unable to stay asleep for long as it was dreadfully disrupted in each sleep cycle. How many times had he cursed in irritation after waking up multiple times throughout the night in cold sweat? And now that he had finally fallen asleep without the horror and trepidation, but it was only for 40 minutes.

River shook his head to remove the negative thoughts. Nevertheless, that was the best 40 minutes of sleep. Despite being saddened that he had been awoken from such peace, River felt more energized than he had been in the last 2 months. How did this happen anyway? Am I cured of the occurring distasteful nightmares? Have I finally been freed from Lynn? Sighing from the unanswered questions that flew in his mind, River decided to let it go for now.

"Yeah, I was very tired", River replied as he stood up, stretching his whole body and then extended his hand to Serena. "Come on, you're right. We should head back. I'll drop you off."

Placing her hand in his, River pulled Serena to her feet. Serena stumbled forward from the force and landed onto River's hard chest, which was no doubt packed and defined in muscles. River placed one arm on her waist to stabilize her equilibrium. Heat seeped through her clothes and Serena blinked briskly from the closeness.

Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump.

The sounds of her heart resonated loudly in her ear. "You okay?" River's deep voice sliced through and Serena jumped away in embarrassment. "Yeah. Thanks."

River laughed as he watched Serena. So cute. Once again, he was caught off guard at how the littlest of action startled Serena. He found her reactions quite endearing. How she would blush or look away. How she quietly shriek. River had never met someone like Serena who seemed truly innocent and foreign to human interactions, particularly male ones. And somehow, these little things warmed his heart and lightened up his day.

Stepping backward, River gestured for them to start walking back. Engaging in a conversation, River had his eyes trained on Serena the whole time. Her long hair cascaded down her back, a smile etched on her face as she talked about her roommate. They were both excited to go out to the sushi place for dinner.