Chapter 18: You Wanted The Truth, There You Have It

It was so easy to allow yourself to be consumed by fear and be led by the initial, emotional reaction formulated by the harshness of words. To let the cruelty of them seep and bleed into reality.

But even when it all seemed true, there were certain ramifications that can't be twisted. They acted like glitches that separated the truths from the lies.

All Serena had to do was carefully search for it. To allow herself to grab onto it, like it was hope, and reign it in tight. Closing her eyes, Serena wondered to herself what was she doing letting petty words like that getting to her. How could she have forgotten about her own resolve?

The moment she stepped outside of her childhood home, leaving behind the painful memories along with Patricia, Serena had made a promise to herself to never look back and focus on her future. To allow herself of all things she was denied.

So to have allowed Lynn to get to her in the slightest bit made Serena feel ashamed of herself; ashamed of being so close to succumbing to Lynn's words. Because let's face it, River would never come to hate her. Multiple times already that River had proven that he would never abandon her. Their lives had been interlinked so tightly that it would take an eternity to unravel the knot that bonded them in an attempt to break them apart.

So why would River hate her now? After everything he's done for her. That was simply impossible. 

Besides, her mother's hatred was not Serena's fault. She had no hand in helping Patricia cultivate a hatred for her.

That was the glitch that eradicated Lynn's jab of words.

"You wouldn't want that, would you?" Lynn's voice had Serena opening her eyes. "You wouldn't want River to come to despise you so much that he couldn't stand the sight of you, would you? Are you that desperate for attention, Serena?"

"ENOUGH," Serena shouted, irritation bubbling in the pits of her stomach. Any semblance of apprehension and doubt transformed into a pile of indignation instead. Anger prickled at her heart and Serena could hear the pulsing of her heartbeat within the confines of her ears.

With every spew coming out of Lynn's mouth, Serena's patience was running thin. Bringing their mom into this was a low blow.

"Can't handle the truth, honey?" Lynn tossed out so casually that it made Serena want to do some physical damage.

Taking a deep breath, Serena tried to find a peace of mind. And the first image that popped into her head was undoubtedly River. A small smile crawled its way onto her lips despite the strained atmosphere.

Everybody has a past but the past should not define the person we are now. It shapes us but it is what we do with it that matters. The steps we take for the better of the future. River had accepted her for who she was, broken pieces and all, and made her better. He had supported her along every step of the way. Protected her. Showed her how amazing life was. Became her strength. And now it was her turn.

Because it was as simple as that. River was hers. Hers to love. Hers to keep.

"You know what Lynn," Serena looked dead straight into Lynn's eyes catching her off guard. "Save your crap for someone who cares."

Serena took a step forward, marching right into Lynn's personal space.

"I don't give a flying f-ck what you think or what you think I should do. And honestly it is none of your damn business. Sure you used to date River. Reality check, sister. You're the ex-girlfriend now. You thought you knew what he likes. But honey, if you'd cared enough to stick around instead of spreading your legs for some stranger, then you'd know that he usually starts out slow and gentle. He loves to tease. It's akin to foreplay. He loves to build up the frustration and the tension. To drive you right to the edge of insanity before leaving you nothing to fall back on except for the burning desire to need him like you need no other. Like he's more important than the next breath of air. Only then does he devour you. Because delayed gratification is the sweetest temptation and hardest orgasm you'll ever experience."