Chapter 8: The Kiss of a Dream

Driving back home, River relaxed under the starry night with one hand on the wheel as he thought back to everything that took place earlier. From meeting up with Serena who looked so lavishing, to his victorious game followed by his display of jealousy that was constantly ignited whenever his teammates flirted with Serena.

River didn't want to admit at first, masking it as rage but no matter how much he tried to think so otherwise, he couldn't deny the blatant jealousy he felt today. He had taken a liking to Serena right from the start and over the time they spent together, River had been glad to have befriended her. Having Serena as a friend was more than he bargained for.

Her company proved to be worthwhile in every sense. Her smile, her patience, her attentiveness, her actions all contributed to ease River of his suffering, ridding his mind of all negativity and filled it with geniality, cheer and contentment.  Each moment they spent together deepened her existence into his life unknowingly. 

After the dreadful break up with Lynn, River didn't want to put himself out there. Didn't want to be in a relationship but he just couldn't stand on the sidelines, watching as guys make a pass at Serena. She deserved better than that. She deserved more. She deserved someone who would fill all the gaping holes in her life. Someone who would care for her, cater to her, indulge in her, and love her to no ends. Someone who would stand beside her as equals, behind her as support and in front of her to hold her hands and bring her to happiness. Someone whom would always think about her....

Someone like me

River's eyes widened when the thought of him being the one for Serena entered his mind. He waited for the fear to manifest itself within him, the angst and concern to uproar and backlash at him for wanting Serena more than just a friend. Instead the spurt of emotions and feeling he felt every time he saw Serena flashed through, uprising the simmering yearning that rumbled for Serena.

Serena at the gym when they met for the first time, Serena at the park with him, their occasional coffee break. A smile broke on River's face upon remembering their moments.  How alluring she looked today and every other times. And then the dinner. It was like a perfect snapshot of happiness with Serena by his side spending quality time with his parents and best friends. And the fact that his parents seemed to have taken a liking to Serena sealed the deal.

The smile etched on River's face was still firmly imprinted as he pulled into the drive way of his house after the guards opened the gates. It was all quite remarkable how jubilant a single thought of Serena made River feel. She was different, more, real. He couldn't quite understand it himself but all he knew was that he wanted Serena by his side, hand in hand. He wanted to break their self-preserved walls, to explore the depth of his feelings with and for her, and to make lasting memories. 

River locked the door of his car and made his way into his house, noticing the darkness that surrounded him. The dimming of lights caught his attention and he saw his parents sitting on the patio with mugs in hand. Looking at how natural and content his parents were together even after all these years made River's heart clenched. He wanted that... but more so River realized he wanted that with Serena when an image of them together appeared in his mind.

River lightly rasped on the French doors leading to the patio, nodding at them when they turned to look at him as a way of letting his parents know of his arrival before quietly leaving. The quietness carried on as he entered his room and heading straight for the bathroom to brush his teeth and freshen up.

River laid on his bed, facing the ceiling as the softness underneath him unwinded his aching muscles, drawing him into drowsiness and River nodded off without any coherent thought.