Chapter 11: Jealousy All Around

"Lynn," River straightened up as he eyed Lynn with a sneer. Just Great! His excitement moments ago slowly slipped away, putting a damper on his mood.

"River," Lynn gave River a smile as she smoothed down her dress. "It's been a while, hasn't it?"

River stared at his ex with raised eyebrows as he wondered how she could act so casual around him. It was as if she hadn't broken his heart months ago. Just thinking about it left a sour taste in his mouth and River inwardly shook his head, not wanting to take a dive down memory lane. After everything that had happened, River finally felt right and it was all due to his girl who is waiting for him. The girl who took his breath away and eased his mind.

That was all it took for the rigidness in River's body dissipated and a smile tugged at the corners of his lips when images of Serena clouded his mind. Flashes of Serena smiling at him, Serena in his home, by his side, within his embrace caused River's heart to race. Eagerness coursed through his blood and the need to be near Serena had River on his feet.

With Serena dancing in his mind, the world around him was forgotten and River had taken a few steps when Lynn blocked his path, snapping his attention back to the present. "What! You're just going to ignore me?"

Faltering in his steps, River glared at Lynn as irritation crawled up his skin. "What is it that you want, Lynn? If you failed to notice, there's somewhere I need to be."

"Oh that's right. The new girlfriend. So it seems that the rumours are true," Lynn snorted as she folded her hands across her chest.

Taken aback by her irked stance, River narrowed his eyes at Lynn. "And what's it to you?"

"I'm just making sure you don't break the poor girl's heart when she finds out the truth," Lynn cooed softly, taking a step closer to him.

"And what truth would that be?" River felt annoyed upon detecting the sickening sweetness to Lynn's tone as a hint of anger sparked within his body.

"That her so-called boyfriend is still hung on his past lover. That she's just the rebound girl."

As soon as the words spilled from Lynn's mouth, River saw red. "You have no idea what you're talking about? " The words hung and rebound continued to echo within the confine of his ears, as rage simmered with great expanse.

"Come on, River. Don't play coy. I know you have feelings for me otherwise you still wouldn't be mad at me," Lynn pouted and brought her hand to rest on his forearm.

"Excuse-me?" River scoffed, yanking his arm away as her touch burned his skin. "You may be delusional but let me make myself clear. I do not have any feelings left for you. "

"Please, you're lying not just to me but to yourself," Lynn pushed forward, unfazed by River's words.

River scoffed and tilted his head at Lynn. This is the girl I thought I was in love with? The one whom I thought was the one? River stared at Lynn as he tried to remember what it was about her that had him head over heels. But seeing her now made him question his previous attraction to Lynn. It was as though he was seeing her for the first time again except this time gone was the beautiful girl whom he once was attracted to; in place was a double-faced girl whom ran hot one minute and cold the next.

"And I know you. I know you still — "

"That's where you're wrong. You don't know me. I don't think you ever truly knew me," River interjected firmly. "As far as my relationship with my girlfriend goes, it really is none of your damn business. I really don't care what you think. I know my own feelings and I know that right now I am extremely happy with my girlfriend. Happier than I've ever been especially in comparison to when we were together. The feelings that I have and feel for her is different from what I had for you."