Chapter 1 - New Year's Gathering

Accomplishments. In my life, there is none as greater than becoming a successful author.

Well, I wouldn't call it globally successful, but...

You'd probably think that being an authour would be all really boring and tiring, and after you've worked your arse off to write a 300 page story about God knows what, nobody decides to buy it. But this is not true, well at least it's never happened to me.

I have all the free time in the world, really. I write for about an hour a day, give or take, but right now it's New Year's Eve and my family are all in my flat (no, I don't own it, but nobody lives in the floor above or below me, so it feels like I have some privacy ) eating takeaway and a pizza, sitting on the modern purple couch in front of my wonderful flat screen TV. I'm standing behind the four people.

Yep, only four. Mom, Dad, my older sister, Jessie, and her snot nosed son, whatshisface. Nobody decided to move once my 'precious' little nephew, A.K.A snottiest little brat that ever roamed the earth, decided to go to sleep and stretch out on the couch, putting his sweaty little feet on the place where I'm supposed to sit. I mean, like, seriously!

I have the courtesy to even let him barge into my beautiful home, let him park his butt on my very expensive, most favourite couch, and the least he could do was to move his feet or maybe sleep on the floor.

On the TV screen, an okay-looking guy stands next to a fake, barbie doll impersonator."Okay, everyone, four minutes 'till midnight!" She says with the most plastic smile I have ever seen. It takes me everything not to roll my eyes.

Today has been like any other. Wake up. Eat.Write. Now, the only thing left to do is sleep. Oh, and I missed out on one of the most important things - Watch My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic. Shut up, it's a good show!

Most of my work has been inspired by this show. All of the mane 6 are likeable, but there's always been my favourite; Pinkie Pie. Her positive attitude towards everything is so inspirational. For me, anyway.

I love the show, but I try to keep it on the down low. I don't want my parents finding out.

Every year, I find out where Bronycon is, and always find a way to get there. I always do some sort of cosplay, my two favourites, Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. It's my favourite time of the year. Almost like Christmas. Well, not Christmas, because I don't celebrate it.

I don't get my family, and how they think things like that actually matter, like this pathetic New Year's gathering.

Honestly, I didn't even want them to come here. But I can be easily persuaded when I'm drunk and my mom is very convincing over the phone on Friday afternoons.

I live alone. I enjoy it, really, I don't need anyone. Don't want a pet, not going to lose something I love so much, like when I was a kid.
I loved to draw, and I used to save up my allowance to buy these really expensive, good quality pens and really pretty notebooks. But one day, these older kids snapped the pens and pencils in half and ripped my most favourite drawings into pieces in front of my eyes.

It really hurt, and the worst thing was, mom wouldn't listen, and neither would dad. I couldn't talk to the teachers, none of them really liked me. Ever.
I'm the kind of person who is, unless you've been stuck with me since birth, very introverted.

That's why I don't really like Mom and Dad's company much, either. They think I'm going through a mid-life crisis at twenty-two, since whenever they ask me "So where do you work now?" I have to answer with, "Still an author, mom."
And I think now that I'm not around them anymore, they're so desperate to 'be there for me'.

Assholes.

They moved to Italy after I moved out for God knows why. Probably to get away from me. Celebrating the fact that I'm not there to drag them down.
I only ever see them on family gatherings (like this one) or if I break my leg, or something. And that gets really annoying, since they decide to piss me off in times where I really don't want to be pissed off.

Jessie's annoying kid calls up to me, "Could you get me a soda, Auntie?"

"Get it yourself," 'you little shit,' I add inwardly. "Maybe then I'll get to sit on the couch."

"Time for the New Year's Countdown!" The Barbie Doll Impersonator on TV interrupts us. "Two minutes!"

Wow, like we didn't already know.
Actually, I didn't. I was just trying to sound smart. Thanks, Barbie.

"Hold that soda!" Son-of-a-sister exclaims, which is rather funny, since I wasn't making an effort to get him what he wanted anyway. I'm not sure I even have soda.

I turn around to head up stairs. Maybe I can wait this family out.
"Where are you going?" Mom half-mumbles over her shoulder.

I point my finger to the direction I'm going in. "Upstairs."

"Why?" She asks inquisitively.

I give her a baleful glare. "Do get shit-faced," I say sarcastically. 

"Oh, no you don't!" Mom gives me a disapproving look. "Come back here right this instant, young lady. You're going to spend this time with your family!"

"I'm not a kid anymore," I mutter under my breath, but turn on my heel and walk to behind the couch. I look over Mom and Dad's grey-haired heads to watch the TV unwillingly with them.

Oh, well, I'd better make a New Year's resolution, anyway. Just for fun. Hmm... What should it be?

Ten.

Improve on my writing skills? Hell, no.

Nine.

Get better parents? Maybe you could buy some at the $2 store.

Eight.

Get a boyfriend? Ha. I'm so funny.

Seven.

Okay, okay, in all seriousness now.

Six.

Oh, well. I'll just make up some pathetic one.

Five.

How about... love something more than I love myself?

Four.

Geez, where did I even get that from?

Three.

Maybe I'm drunk?

Two.

I can't be drunk, I never drink in front of children. Even really stupid snot nosed ones.

One.

Whatever, I don't care anymore, it's midnight now.

Maybe I'll have a drink.