Chapter 20 - Losing That Pie

Have you ever had to let go of something you really loved? An old toy, perhaps? Well, how about a family member? At first, when they're gone, you feels this huge pang of denial. How could they just leave?

It's New Year's Day, the day I found Pinkie Pie. The day my life changed forever, fifteen years ago. And yet, it seems like only yesterday when she said her first word.

Pinkie and I were celebrating, preparing our own party. Pinkie has gotten very good planning parties and making people feel absolutely great. She's actually gotten to know some of the kids in our neighbourhood, against my wishes of course, but luckily nobody has told anyone major about it. It's not like I particularly ever liked little kids that much, anyway.

Whenever we go out in our street, we never see Josh anymore, and when we do, we don't talk or make eye contact.

I turned 35 a few months ago. Man, I'm getting ancient! Pinkie celebrated my birthday, it was awesome!

My book series didn't work out so well, but I don't care. I'm unemployed, but I'll find a job soon, I know it. I have to, for Pinkie's sake.

This evening, however, Pinkie was busy putting streamers up when I hear a knock at the door. I walk over and look into the peephole of the door to see a tall, white alicorn with flowing, magnificent hair. I break into a cold sweat. It's Princess Celestia. She's come to take Pinkie!

No, she can't! She won't! I won't let her!

I dash into the living room where Pinkie is and pull her away from the window, practically dragging her up the the stairs and hiding in my closet, my arms wrapped protectively around Pinkie. "Mom, what gives?" She asks, slightly annoyed.

"Sh," I shush, putting a shaky finger to my lips.

"Why?" Pinkie whispers.

"Princess Celestia is here," I whisper back, before I hear a loud crash from downstairs.

"PRINCESS CELESTIA IS DOWNSTAIRS??!" Pinkie shrieks excitedly.

I wrap my hand around her muzzle to silence her. "No, Pinkie, you don't understand," I whisper through clenched teeth, hearing loud hoof steps coming up the stairs, followed by many other ones, "They've come to take you away."

As soon as I finish saying this, a golden aura surrounds the closet door and it opens to reveal the tall alicorn glaring down at me. Behind her are the other mane six, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity.

I hug Pinkie closer to me and whimper, "Please, please don't take her away from me!"

"Unhoof her!" Celestia demands.

"No!" I shout back, pushing myself against the wall in desperation.

They can't take Pinkie. Without her, I wouldn't have had all these things in life. I wouldn't have met Josh, I wouldn't have had one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I probably would still be stuck with OCD, no friends, all by myself in this lonely place.

Celestia's eyes flash in anger and her horn begins to glow brightly, almost threatening me with it.

"Wait!" Pinkie shouts, squirming from my grip and standing up in front of the alicorn, chest puffed out with a determined look. "You'll have to go through me to get her!"

Celestia steps back and looks down at Pinkie. She's only half the alicorn's size, and yet she's sticking up for me? Does she really love me all that much? "Why are you so protective of it, Pinkie?" She speaks.

"First of all, how do you know my name? And second, it's a she and she's my Mother," Pinkie says.

"Mother?" All the ponies except Pinkie repeat, dumbfounded.