Chatper 9 - Pinkie on Ice

It's taken me ages, but I finally believe I have bought Pinkie the right scarf, along with a pink wooly jacket meant for dogs, but meh. Bonus. The scarf has thick hot pink and light pink horizontal stripes, and it's frayed at the end. The shopping trip felt a little strange without the weight of Pinkie on my shoulders (literally).

I shiver as I open the car door and the heat from inside gets sucked out, sending an icy chill down my spine. The snow crunches under my feet and the brown paper bag full of Pinkie's clothing rustles in my arms. I sneak around the house through a gate which leads to the back yard to check on the ice rink.

It's formed an icy skin, but it still hasn't completely set. I learned that the hard way. I stood on it with one foot. It held me for a few seconds, before cracking and giving way to my weight, making my shoe splash into the icy cold water. Just gotta wait a few more hours...

I make my way in through the back door and am hit my the warmth of the heater. I walk through the laundry and into the lounge room, expecting to see Pinkie sitting on the purple couch watching cartoons, since I can hear the TV. But Pinkie isn't in sight. I tiptoe up the stairs and walk into my room to find Pinkie attempting to read one of my pony comics. She looks up at me sheepishly. She knows she isn't really allowed in my closet, and I'm just hoping she hasn't found the skates...

I sigh, dumping the bag on the ground and pushing it under he bed with a foot. After taking my shoes off and placing them neatly in my closet where the they're supposed to be, I sit down next to Pinkie. "Need some help?" I ask.

She nods, and I turn all the pages back to the front cover. Wow. Okay.

I read the title out to her. "My Little Pony," I say, reading the trademark logo.

"Pinki... Ponk...pone...pony," Pinkie mutters.

Does she even know what that word means? She gives me a questioning look, answering my question as if reading my thoughts. "It's what you are," I explain, poking her chest lightly.

She nods and climbs into my lap so I can hold the book out in front of me. She's not very successful with it, for she isn't as small as she used to be, so her back legs were sort of moved out to the side. I turn the page, my fingers brushing past the glossy paper, and continue to read to her. The whole comic is about the mane six ponies going around a forest or something to save their little sisters from Queen Chrysalis and her changeling army or something.

It barely kept me interested, I've read it ten times. But Pinkie was hooked on every page, feeling the way the-one-on-paper felt. It was actually quite cute. One time, through mid sentence, I yawned and received a glare from Pinkie. It was a look that said, 'Why did you stop reading?' And took my need to yawn as a feeble excuse.

The comic was a four or five parter, so when the cliffhanger happened at the end, Pinkie went into a little rage and zipped back into my closet to find the next part. But of course, because she couldn't read, she couldn't find the next book and started throwing the comic books off of their shelves. "Calm down, Pinkie!" I exclaim.

"Look, I have all the comics in order. But now that you've messed them up, they're not," I mutter, receiving a frustrated sigh from Pinkie.

"If you help me sort all these and put them back on the shelves, I can read you the second part," I say firmly.

Pinkie nods enthusiastically, bouncing around the room and collecting the comics quickly, before handing them back to me. I sort them in numerical order once again, and pull out the second book of the series. Pinkie raced over to the bed, bouncing like a motor in anticipation. I sit down next to her once more and open the cover, beginning to read. Pinkie stares at the pages, head resting on hooves as I read out the words, stupidly putting on different accents to try and make the story a little more interesting.