Chapter 19 - Never Leave Me

I groan as I wake myself up. Well, I didn't wake myself up, the bitter cold of the morning did. And the ice cold rain pelting itself at me.

I squeak as it hits me and scramble down the tree. My feet hit the ground and dash off towards the park. I pull my jacket over my head to try and stop the rain from getting at me, but it proves useless.

The smell of rain is everywhere, because, duh, it's raining, as I enter the park. The whole scene is rather gloomy, and I'm not really sure whether it's dawn or dusk, but my back feels super stiff from sleeping on wood all night. My eyes are sore from crying and are probably red, too.

Stupid Josh. Stupid Brick. Stupid everything.

I kick at a nearby rock and it bounces away, landing somewhere in a bush. I snuggle into my jacket as watch the rain patter down on the crumbling sidewalk as my shoes make noises against it.

I hear the noise of a car behind me, but just ignore it. It'll probably just pass by, the driver oblivious to anything or anyone I care about, or how shit I feel right now.

But the strange thing is that the car never passes me. I can hear the tyres against the tarmac slowing down to keep up with me. Something's up, no doubt, so I take a quick glance behind me and then realise the car is following me. Oh, no. This is every eight year old's who just found out about kidnapping nightmare.

I quicken my pace, hoping whoever's in the car thinks I was someone else but now realises I'm not. But the car just stops and someone gets out of it, slamming the door behind them. My heart thumps in my chest. Oh, crap. I walk faster and faster, so I'm doing more of a jog than a run, but I can hear footsteps chase after me.

I break into a run, my sneakers slapping on the pavement as I hear whoever it is chasing me is also running. I breathe heavily as it feels like I'm running for my life.

I feel a strong hand wrap around my arm, pulling me back. I scream for everything I have and punch at whoever just grabbed me's arm. "Wait, wait!" Shouts a familiar voice as the owner of it whips me around.

"Brick?" I hiss through my teeth.

"Look, babe, I'm sorry but I know we've got that connection, so I'm asking you for another chance," he says all at once, gripping onto my triceps and looking me straight in the eye.

"Take a hint!" I say in a raised voice.

"Babe, please. I know we'll be forever if you just-"

"I only knew you for less than three hours!" I shout, quickly pulling away so he couldn't force me to kiss him like last time. "And you made me look like I was cheating on my boyfriend! We broke up because of you!"

His eyebrows raise as he shoves his hands in the pockets of his black hoodie. "So I'm taking it you're single now?"

I shoot him an angered look and scream at him, balling my fists and throwing them downwards. "You don't get it, do you?" I shout. I swear I saw a nosy neighbour peeks at us through a window of their house, but I don't care. "You've ruined the one sole relationship I have had with a man in a very long time and you expect me to date you now that he's out the way!"

He nods like it's nothing, like it's just a casual thing. "Pretty much, yeah," he replies nonchalantly. I glare at him and turn on my heel, stomping down the pathway on my way home. "So... I'll call you? What's your number?" He calls after me.

I stop and turn to him, narrowing my eyes. I fold my arms and stick my middle finger up at him. "Fuck you," I growl, before spinning on my heel and making my way home.

He doesn't follow me, he just stands there, and thankfully for me, that is the last I'll ever see of him. What a jerk.

The keys jingle in my fingers as I fumble with them at the front door of my house. However, something feels different. Something feels... odd. I open the front door and it creaks as it moves. I step inside and am very surprised to notice that all the lights are turned off and the curtains are drawn. "Pinkie?" I call warily, my voice echoing through the house.