Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            I have never seen this building before. This barren, simple world of water, grass and Penella’s Hall also holds some architecture that I had not been aware of.

            It is a broken shack that is constructed completely out of stone blocks, some of which are missing and leave a gaping space in parts of the building. There is a small set of stairs that lead to a small entrance into the building. I notice these stairs do not have the same safety precaution as the staircase to Penella’s Hall.

            We walk up the steps and through the entrance, where my gaze travels around the small space of the area. It is not exactly a room; only a cell-like area with just the building itself to act as the room. The stone blocks that form the floor hold firmly against my weight as I walk towards the black table that lies in the center.

            Quinn places the body onto the table, and I watch in fascination as the edges of the table begin to glow a dim white. His eyes are fixed onto the Unborn as he mutters, “this process can only be performed on this table; otherwise it will not work.”

            He lifts his right hand as it begins to shine a brilliant white. He rests his hand on the Unborn’s chest, touching it for a brief moment before lifting his hand once more. His hand is not shining anymore, and the white edges of the table return to black.

            The Unborn’s eyes slowly pull open, and he looks around with an expression of sheer understanding.

            “Unborn, I will be your guiding Agent to your next life,” Quinn speaks, catching his attention. “For the time being, you are free to wander this world until it is time for you to leave. When this time arrives, I will come to you,” he explains.

            The Unborn nods, looks at me, and then moves off of the table. He starts to head for the exit, but I stop him. “Unborn,” I say. He turns to look at me in confusion, “are you aware that Norun is planning to attack this world?”

            He looks at Quinn, who gives him a sign of approval. The Unborn looks at me once more, “yes, Warrior, I am aware.”

            My gaze does not waver from his, “we are preparing ourselves for battle, and we need soldiers who are capable of fighting alongside us. If you were to join us, you would not be able to leave to another world until the battle is over. However if you decline and we lose this battle, Valsea will no longer exist and life will cease to continue.”

            “I will join you,” he says with surprising conviction. He turns to Quinn, “I will not be seeing you soon, then,” he smiles.

            “I will notify you when it is time to begin training,” I inform him. The Unborn nods and then leaves the shack.

            Once he is out of sight, I turn to Quinn. “Adrian asked me to gather as many Unborns as possible to fight with us,” I answer his silent question. “The Unborn was already understanding of why he is in Valsea upon awakening; I did not expect that,” I comment.

            “Strange, is it not?” he smiles.

            “Extremely.”

            He chuckles, “I have grown accustomed to it after so long,” he says and then pauses, “you wanted to see me for a reason?”

            I hesitate, “I was speaking with Adrian and he told me why Norun wants to kill Penella. He mentioned that you know about the crime she had committed,” I tell him.