Chapter Five

Chapter Five

            I close the book, astonished. That is such a terrible way to end a story – yet it is true. Before the story begins, it clearly states that this book is historical; a non-fiction novel that describes the life of an actual God.

            It had explained that a God’s curse is only earned if the God had committed a terrible crime. Being great entities, they have certain rules to abide by when interacting with inferior beings from other worlds. Should a God break one of these rules, his soul will become cursed and he will forever live in grief and agony. The only way to be rid of this curse is to rip out the soul and send it away – in Cyrus’ case, to his son.

            Ripping out the soul is the only way a God can die. This must be why Penella is dying; she must have broken one of the rules and committed a crime, resulting in a cursed soul. She ripped it out and sent it away – but to whom?

            Leaving the book on the table in case I may need it again, I exit the library and head down the Hall with a brisk, steady pace. Penella’s courtroom comes quickly into sight and I pass through the pillars, hearing them click as the doors reassemble in front of me. I push them open and step onto the linoleum floor.

            Penella’s throne towers threateningly over me as I kneel before it. “Goddess, you must tell me,” I speak, hearing my voice echo around the vast area. “Who is it you gave your soul to? What crime did you commit that caused you to do such a thing?”

            Her whisper flows through my mind and across my skin, soft and soothing. As always, my mind cannot understand the foreign language she speaks to me – but my heart does.

            You are not ready, child…

            I shake my head, “I am ready,” I insist. “I must know why the Goddess I have sworn to protect is dying under my watch!”

            Do not test me, Warrior, her voice becomes firm. You are not prepared to understand the truth…

            I stifle a sigh and bow my head, “Yes, Goddess. I will take my leave.”

            I stand straight and turn around, leaving the courtroom swiftly. The doors crumble behind me as I hurry down the staircase and towards the shore. If Penella will not tell me – Quinn will.

            I am not far from the shore when a tall, familiar figure steps into my path. I look at pale green eyes and a frantic expression. “Blake,” I greet the second Agent. “I have not seen you in a while.”

            “I cannot hear her anymore!” he exclaims, his short, blond hair swaying as he paces in front of me.

            I have a clear understanding of who he is speaking about. I play oblivious, “Who?”

            “The Goddess!” He bursts, his hands burying themselves in his hair. “She was speaking to me – trying to warn me about something – when she suddenly stopped talking and I could not contact her after that!”

            I rest my hand on his left shoulder to calm him down. I am not sure if I should explain why he can no longer hear her. Obviously Penella’s voice cannot reach Blake anymore, and I fear that soon Adrian and I will not hear her as well – if it has not affected Adrian already. When Quinn told me that Penella is dying, he seemed conflicted about whether or not he should tell me.

            Blake is incredibly worrisome; if he knows that his Goddess is dying, he will undoubtedly fret and become distracted. This is a liability we cannot afford at a time like this.