Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

            I enter the training room once more, my eyes immediately searching for Blake. I find him, my eyes widening with surprise when I see him mock fighting an Unborn. I stride over to where a heavy circle of Unborns form around the two and weave my way through them.

            Crossing my arms, I watch silently with the others as Blake comments on every fault, succeeding attack, and improvements the Unborn can make. Blake’s constant training gives him a greater advantage along with the Unborn’s lack of skill in battle. He easily manoeuvres his wooden sword through the air until he flicks his wrist and the tip of the sword is pressed gently against the Unborn’s throat.

            The crowd cheers as Blake takes a dramatic bow before passing the sword to a waiting female. An excited grin pulls at the female’s lips as she steps into the center of the circle and waits for her opponent.

            The defeated Unborn moves to hand his sword to a second female, but I intercept him. “No,” I cut in, seeming to have startled him. I look at the waiting female as she handles her wooden sword carefully, “you will fight against a male,” I tell her, handing the sword to a male who stands near her. “During battle, sex is of no importance. You will undoubtedly fight a rogue of the opposite sex and you all must be prepared for it,” I say, my voice carrying throughout the listening crowd.

            I step back into the massive circle and assess the male and female as they stand opposite to each other. They attack, landing improved blows as they fight. I glance up, catching Blake’s eye as he gives me a joyous grin.

            I return it, wondering how in the world I will tell the worrisome Agent that his Goddess is nearly dead. I look away, unable to stare into such oblivious eyes any longer. I said I would tell him when the time is right; however I feel time is not currently in our favour.

            When the two finish, a second male and female step into the ring. They wield their swords with firm grasps and determined looks; however I have other plans for these Unborns. An idea forms in my mind – actually, I have plans for all of these Unborns.

            I lean closer to an Unborn who stands beside me, “take the girl by surprise. Attack her from behind,” I murmur to him. He looks at me with a puzzled expression, but nods in understanding. He raises the wooden sword he had been holding and begins to charge toward the female. I lift my head so my voice can be heard throughout the room, “Surprise attack!”

            The Unborns look at me, including the two who are currently fighting. The female whirls around when she hears the third Unborn’s heavy footsteps heading for her. She raises her sword to meet his with precision.

            The male Unborn seems to understand what is occurring and yells a battle cry, evidently catching the female off guard. Still clashing swords with the third Unborn, the female raises her next hand to grab the male’s wrist before he can attack her from behind. She twists and then lunges to kick the third Unborn’s feet from underneath. Without wasting a breath, she spins to face the male, swinging her sword toward him in the process and managing to bash it against his side.

            The male drops his sword, knowing he has been defeated. Had her sword been metal, it would have slashed right through his stomach and sent his life to the stars.

            I applaud the female, “you did well.” Looking at the rest of the crowd, I continue, “In battle, you will not be fighting with one mere rogue. You will be fighting three or possibly six at a time. You must be ready to fight as many as you can simultaneously – not just one.” The crowd creates a chorus of affirmations.