Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

            You have disobeyed me… Penella’s voice whips across my skin, colder than the harsh air inside the courtroom.

            I keep my eyes lowered to the floor, “I was ready for the truth,” I insist.

            A Warrior does not betray her Goddess…

            “I have not betrayed you! If anyone has betrayed you, it is Adrian!” I exclaim, moving to my feet. A sudden gust of wind pushes me back onto my knees, shocking me. “You must understand—”

            Do not argue with me! She ends my sentence swiftly. My communication with my Agents may have been severed, but I will always be able to contact you. I can see everything you do and say through your eyes and ears. If you disobey my orders a second time, your position as Warrior will be relinquished…

            I bite back my arguing words and lower my head. “Yes, Goddess.”

            Leave…

            I stand, silently making my way towards the doors. Just before I exit, Penella’s voice whispers through me once more I will see to it that the orbs you wanted are created. You will have them soon…

            I do not respond; only continue walking through the grand doors. As the doors collapse, I hurry down the staircase and into the many fields of grass, my thoughts wandering.

            Penella mentioned that our communication will never be cut, although I do not understand why. Perhaps the reason is because I am her Warrior; therefore I am bound to her by a closer link? I have yet to figure it out.

            My feet move inaudibly over the dirt as I near a growing crowd by the shore.

            Grouped together are seemingly thousands of Unborns, standing quietly as they wait for me to arrive. In front of them all are Quinn and Blake – Adrian is not in sight.

            “Are more of them coming?” I ask Quinn as I approach the two Agents.

            They both turn sharply to face me, appearing startled by my presence. Quinn is the first to compose himself, “Blake and I have found almost every Unborn who walks on this world. I highly doubt there are any remainders,” he answers.

            I look at Blake, who nods in confirmation. “Alright, let us begin,” I say as I face the crowd.

            “Unborns, you have been called here for a very important reason,” I start, my voice carrying clearly throughout the silent group. “Valsea is in great danger. A second God, Norun, is planning to attack this world with rogue Unborns who are very similar to you; however they have turned against our Goddess Penella.” I pause, “When the time comes for Norun to strike, he will attack without mercy, and if we do not have great soldiers to defend this world – Valsea will be obliterated.

            If Valsea is destroyed, life will cease to exist. This is because it is the bridge between the dead and the living. Without Valsea, you will not be able to be reborn in another world and will ultimately live in nothingness. This is why we need a strong, capable army; one that all of you are fit to create. If you join us to fight against Norun and his rogues, this world will have a fighting chance, and life will continue to exist.

            However, if you join us, you will not be able to leave to another world until the battle is over. As well as if you die during the battle… you will not be reborn. Instead, you will simply come to an end.” I keep my eyes fixed on the crowd, glancing at a single Unborn throughout my speech. “But if we win this battle – you will be greatly rewarded, and will be allowed to leave to another world.”

            “Valsea will need each and every one of you to save it, however it is your decision to make. If you wish to join us, please stay. If you decide not to, you may leave now and will be allowed leave to another world.” I finish.

            I take a step back and watch the Unborns as they glance amongst each other. Many of them whisper to those who stand beside them. A few moments pass when the crowd seems to have made their decision and begin to move around.

            I am incredibly joyous to find that less than one hundred Unborns leave, and the rest stay put. “You have all decided to stay and fight,” I state, clearing any misunderstandings.

            A chorus of affirmations echo throughout the fields. I give them a smile and turn to face the two Agents, their expressions mirroring mine. “We have our army,” Blake says.

            I turn to the substantial amount of Unborns, “we will begin training immediately,” I tell them. “Follow me,” I say with a beckoning hand. I nod towards Quinn, who falls into step beside me. “Have you seen Adrian?” I ask him.

            Quinn shakes his head, “I was too preoccupied with gathering the Unborns. Blake has not seen him either.”

            I frown, “that is not a good sign.”

            We continue on in silence, my ears catching a few phrases of the words the Unborns speak behind us. Most of them are deathly silent, although a few manage to keep up a steady conversation amongst each other.

            Blake tries to strike a conversation every now and then; however I manage to swiftly change the topic whenever he tries to mention Penella and their severed communication with her. Quinn does not yet know that Blake is not aware of Penella’s dying life, and I am hoping he will stay oblivious until the time is right.

            I ponder my reasoning for omitting this from Blake. I am doing this to preserve his sanity – to keep him calm until it is time for battle because of his tendency to worry.

            Is this why Penella did not want me to know of her crime? Did she think it would alter my impression of her? Was she trying to preserve my own sanity? I feel no different than before, only more knowledgeable. I see no reason for her to have kept her crime a secret from me.

            “You have spoken with Penella?” Quinn suddenly asks.

            I nod, “yes. She will have the orbs ready soon.”

            He nods, and then turns to look at the staircase as we grow closer to it. Once we are in close proximity, the stone rubble shifts, quickly forming the base of the stairs and then onward. The Unborns who have not been exposed to Penella’s ensuring security make amazed sounds from behind me.

            We reach the training room in fast strides. The Agents and I wait along the side of the wall as the Unborns begin to pour in through the door. The door has such a large width that hundreds are able to pass through it simultaneously.

            Once everyone is inside and waiting, we begin training.