Epilogue

Epilogue

            After much effort and time, the once lifeless world has now been revived. Quinn was right; the variety of colours and indescribable hues that fill my sight are breathtaking. With the renewal of the trees and the rest of the environment came the restoration of the forests; immediately bringing the birds back.

        It is as if the system had never been destroyed. The waters flow endlessly in a river that stretches across Maltha. They glitter brilliantly under the light of the suns, seeming more alive than they had in Valsea. Morgan, Atticus and Daneth have taken it upon themselves to join Quinn and become my Agents to guide the Unborns to their next lives. They rather enjoy the experience; deeming it satisfying to know that they are bringing the dead back to life.

        Kia has proven to be invaluable in terms of knowing what is happening around Maltha and reporting to me when any issues arise. Mainly, the problems have been minor, amusing disputes that Kia wished to inform me about simply for my entertainment.

        Darren and Annette have sworn oaths to me to be my own Warriors. Should any rogues manage to escape Cestea and try to attack this world, their indestructibility will be far superior then any weaponry the rogues may have. I would be a fool to refuse their oaths.

        The universe, for the moment, is at peace. I cannot even try to describe the contentment that blossoms through my chest. There is no war, no battle to prepare for; there is only joy and structure. I hope Penella rests happily in her death.

            Kia, who remains by my side for the majority of the days, turns to me. “He’s returned.”

            The double doors open to reveal Quinn, who steps aside to let Morgan come in. “Where would you like me to place him?” Morgan asks.

            I swallow the lump in my throat and stand. “There,” I instruct, stepping off the throne and making my way to where he places the body. I kneel beside him, moving a strand of stray hair away from his face.

            “Is he actually here?!” Daneth’s voice echoes to me. I look up, seeing the boy running through the open doors and falling to his knees beside his father. He looks at me, his appearance haphazard, “will it work this time?”

            I nod, “it must.”

            I place my hand over his chest, letting my gilded blood flow from my skin and soak into his. I can see the glow from underneath his shirt, burning brighter as it encases his heart. A ribbon separates, traveling up his neck and towards his head. It settles there, its own glow burning.

            I close my eyes and pour all the effort I can conjure. Breathe. Inhale – exhale. Inhale – exhale. His heart beats once. I open my eyes in shock, “it’s working,” I whisper, pressing my hands more firmly over his chest.

        His heart beats again, and then again; this time, it doesn’t cease. His chest rises as he inhales a sharp breath. Colour rises to his pale skin, and then his dark eyes open.

        “Julen,” I breathe, my lips pulling into a large smile. My heart pounds, my breathing staggers as recognition fills his expression.

        “Dad?” Daneth whispers.

        Julen turns to look at him, “Daneth?” He looks at me, his eyebrows furrowing. “What happened?” He looks around us, “where are we?”

        The sound that Daneth makes is one of pure joy. He wraps his small arms around his father, “you’re alive! You’re actually alive!”

        “Of course I’m alive – why wouldn’t I be?” He turns to me again, seeming entirely perplexed. “What happened?” he repeats.

        I can’t stop smiling. “You died,” I whisper, “but I brought you back.” His expression remains the same. “I will explain to you later. For now… I brought you back.”