Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

        When Quinn wakes up a while later, Julen’s body had already been buried – according to procratan custom, the body is buried and cannot disintegrate; something I find incredibly strange – and Daneth’s valuables are packed neatly into two bags.

        The potion I had poured down Quinn’s throat during his unconscious state began to work shortly after it entered his system. His unintelligible mumbling developed into understandable phrases that he spoke as he slept, and he soon began uttering sentences that were in spite to the “villainous Vera”.

            “Hm?” he mutters as he sits up. I had left him on the floor, not bothering to make his position comfortable and then healed his poisoned calf. He rubs his leg and looks around with squinted eyes. “Lysandra?”

           “Over here,” I mutter from my seat on the couch. Julen’s blood is still stained on the wood floor; I could not touch it.

        His disoriented gaze lands on me, and then he straightens his back. “Vera! Where is that monstrous she-devil?!” He tries to stand but then clutches his head and falls onto his back. “I cannot believe she cast me under a spell.”

          “Well, it’s over now,” I mutter, not particularly in the mood to speak to the man who killed the only person who made me question myself. Spellbound or not, Julen is dead and I could not revive him.

            “I did all of those horrible things,” Quinn whispers. “I tried to kill you, tried to kill a little boy and then I killed his father!”

            “Yes you did. Now Daneth has no family to look after him, being that Julen was all he had.”

            Quinn looks at me, “you knew them?”

            I give him a harsh glare, “of course I knew them! Julen was the one who helped me cure you! Or is your tiny, hazy mind unable to recall bursting through the door like a madman last monit and seeing me with him?”

            He opens his mouth and then closes it. A silence befalls us, and then he notices the two bags on the floor beside my feet. “What are those for?” he asks.

            “They belong to Daneth. He is coming with us.”

        His expression is unmistakeably shocked. “Why would you even think to do something like that? The boy looks old enough to live on his own.”

        Something is off about him. This is not the Quinn I had known before he was spellbound – this is something new. “Why are you being this way? You killed his father! We must bring him with us.” Before he can respond, I change the subject, “we will discuss what happened during your delusions when we reach Atriel.”

        “Atriel? Why are we going there? How much have I missed since I was gone?”

        “I have no time to explain; towns all around Procratus have been rioting because of our presence and I think Rolaun is becoming affected as well. We need to leave now,” I tell him as I grab the two bags.

        “Where is the boy?” he asks, struggling to stand up.

        “Daneth is in his bedroom. He didn’t feel like seeing the man who killed his father,” I spit uncontrollably. I take a deep breath – I must not let my emotions get the better of me.

        He gives me an odd look, “you know I was not in control! I was being forced to do the things I did – I had no other choice!”

        I look away, trying to keep my lips from trembling. I know that he is right; I just need time to pull myself together. However, I unfortunately have little time for that.

        “Daneth, it’s time to leave,” I call.

        “His death will be more likely if he comes with us, Lysandra. Have you forgotten that we are in the midst of war?” his voice holds a sliver of desperation.

        Without thinking, I give him a hard stare. “You are to call me by my proper title, Agent.”

        He seems taken aback at my words, but he immediately looks away from my cold gaze. “Yes, Warrior. I apologize.”

        My heart sinks, however I cannot help but let my emotions get the best of me. Julen was right; this feeling that has settled in the core of my chest – it is a curse. I know it is not love, though; from what little knowledge I have of the term, I know that Julen and I have not spent enough time with each other for me to develop such cursed feelings.

        Daneth appears in the doorway of the bedroom, his eyes immediately settling on Quinn, who looks away with lowered eyes. “Are we leaving now?” Daneth asks, looking at me.

        I nod and pick up the Othsqire from the table. I had taken it from Julen’s pocket before burying him. He had mentioned that it would help if we needed to escape; I can only hope he meant what I think he did.

        “Daneth, do you know what this does?” I ask, showing him the black object.

        He walks over to me to get a closer look. I notice that he stays well away from Quinn as he inspects the object. “My dad called it the Othsqire,” he says. “I think it was something that teleported you places.”

        I give him a smile, “I was hoping you would say that.” Holding it firmly in my grasp, I turn it over in my palm so that my thumb hovers over the discreet switch on the side of it. “Loop your arm around mine,” I tell Daneth, who obeys. I look at Quinn, “do the same.”

        His arm is rigid as it sticks to mine. Off in the distance, I think I can hear someone shouting. I wonder if I will ever return to this world again.

        “Warrior,” Quinn murmurs as I push the switch. “I am sorry.”