Chapter Thirty-Eight

        I open my eyes to see a world of complete and utter silence. Cestea is a dark land, with jagged mountains in the distance that stretch to unclimbable heights. The sky is black, lacking sun and moon. It is a dead planet; more than perfect for Norun and his rogues as they can do as they please without fear.

        I look to the sky and see nothing but darkness. There are no stars nor galaxies to shed beauty on this lost world. Why would any Unborn – rogue or not – want to live in a place as desolate and saddening as this?

        A cold chill sweeps across my skin and through my hair. Quinn exhales a loud breath, “I can understand why Norun chose this world.”

        “Why?”

        He looks at me, “there is nothing here. Everything is dark and lonely; it depresses the rogues and inhibits any feelings of joy and passion. They become isolated and angry, which makes them more susceptible to Norun’s lies.”

        I take a slow breath to settle my nerves. My fingers consistently twitch, to which I must run them through my hair in order to cease my fidgeting. “That’s quite a subtle way to brainwash them.”

        Before Quinn can reply, Atticus cuts in. “Should I get started?”

        I give him a quick look; his gun is strapped securely across his shoulder. The look in his eyes is foreign; a strange combination of fear, confidence, nervousness and excitement. I simply hope that that fear is the lesser felt of the four. I nod, “yes, and hurry. Leave no leader alive, but remember; Norun will not be affected by your ability.”

        He nods, “I’ll be back in a second,” he sa…

        …ys. “Done!” he chirps.

        I frown. Morgan speaks before I can, “you haven’t even moved yet!”

        Atticus’ lips form into a sly smile, “Actually, I just went around the world in one second.”

        “Did you kill them all?” I intercept.

        “Every last one,” there is no mistaking the triumphant look in his eyes. “I even managed to cut down a couple hundred or so from the regular army. I would’ve killed more but I heard someone shouting and figured it was Norun, so I got the hell out of there.”

        I let him have his glory, however the knowledge that he was able to kill over a hundred rogues in the span of a single second makes him even more dangerous than I had anticipated. It is good that he is on my side, but I know that that can change as quickly as he killed those rogues.

        “I managed to catch what Norun was yelling, though,” Atticus’ words bring me away from my thoughts. “He was shouting because he saw one of his rogues were almost completely frozen. He knows something’s up and he thinks it’s you, Lysandra, but he doesn’t know about us four,” he gestures to Morgan, Darren, Annette and himself.

        “Then we still have a bit of surprise on our side,” Quinn says. “Norun is most likely going to ready his army. If we attack now, we can kill as many as possible while they are still unarmed.” He looks to me for confirmation, which I give him.

        “The rogues have bases around the mountains,” Atticus says. “I saw most of them while I was hunting the leaders along with where Norun’s Hall is, which is just behind that massive beast over there.” He points to a mountain that towers well above the rest, even conquering Norun’s own height.

        “That is where I will be heading,” I say. “Quinn, you can spread out to other bases since you have more experience in battle. However,” I look at Morgan, Darren and Annette, “it is wise if you three stick together. You lack fighting skills and will need to protect each other. I suggest attacking single bases one by one. You will be able to attack the bases more quickly by having Morgan teleport you there. Darren and Annette, you both are indestructible, however Morgan is not. If it comes down to it – use yourselves as shields to keep him alive.” They nod.

        “What about me?” Atticus crosses his arms.

        “You can do as you please. Fight alone or fight with the others. You have stated that you already have experience with guns so I suggest you fight the way you know you will win.” I pause, and then I suddenly realize, “but you cannot use your ability.”

        “Why not? If I use that then I know I’ll win!”

        “Slowing down time may not hinder you but it will affect us during battle. More specifically, it will affect me and not Norun while I am fighting him. I will be rendered immobile while Norun will still be able to move freely. He could easily kill me within that second.”

        Understandingly but reluctantly, he nods. “I won’t do it. I promise.” He looks at Quinn, “I guess I’ll be tagging along with you then, bro.”

        Quinn raises an eyebrow at him, “bro?” he asks. I am wondering the same thing.

        Atticus shakes his head towards the ground, “it’s just a way to call each other friends. Never mind; let’s just get going.”

        Before any of them can move, I intercept. “I will say this only once. Norun is extremely dangerous; do not try any attempt at helping me and attacking him. He can kill you as easily as blinking so stay as far away from him as possible. Also,” I bite down on my lip, looking at them all, “stay alive.”

        They nod in unison. I see Darren and Annette glance at each other with determined expressions. I know they cannot be killed, and I know that Morgan’s best chance at surviving is by staying close to them. Still – I cannot risk anything.

        “Morgan,” I gesture for him to step closer. When he does, I lean in close. I know that everyone can still hear the words I speak, but I want Morgan to hear me as clearly as possible. “If the situation arises where you are deeply wounded, I want you to return to Maltha immediately. Do not hesitate. Return to Maltha and stay with the others. Kia brought a medical kit to treat your wounds while you are waiting for us to return. In the event where we lose this battle, Kia will know and she will tell you. If it happens, you are to teleport Kia and Daneth back to Atriel and live out the rest of your lives. Do you understand?”

            His eyebrows are drawn together, his expression somber. “I understand.”

            “Good,” I lean back and turn to Quinn. “I would like to speak to you in private.”

            We move away from the rest of the group, and once we are out of earshot, I let my shoulders relax. “This is it, Quinn,” I look at him.

            He gives me the same smile that he has given since our time in Valsea. “You fight extremely well. We may have lost the first battle, but second chances are given to us for a reason.”

            I run a hand through my hair, “I know. I simply wanted to thank you; for remaining so loyal to Penella and staying with me even when I was angry at you. You have been a true friend to me,” I place my hand on his shoulder. “I want you to know that this second chance we have been given will be my last chance. Today is the day where either I or Norun falls, and while I hope it is he who dies, it may also be me. If that is what will happen, then… I will see you in Valhalla,” I grin.

            He returns it, grasping my shoulder as well. “I will see you in Valhalla,” he nods.

            I step away and take a deep breath before rejoining the others. “Alright, everyone. Be as stealthy as possible for your first few attacks that way we can maintain our element of surprise for as long as possible. I am going to confront Norun. Stay alive and,” I pause, looking at their determined expressions; “let us hope that we win.”