Chapter Six

So we're six chapters in, and I'm now fairly certain that everyone absolutely hates this book... considering everyone suddenly stopped commenting, voting and reading after Chapter 3.

Should I be worried? Come on guys, help me out here.

 Chapter Six

            Quinn and I circle each other, his eyes glint with excitement as he grasps his sword firmly in his right hand. I hold mine in my right hand as well, although it does not matter which hand I use to fight with.

            He attacks first, his sword slashing the area I had been standing just seconds before. I am now a few steps beside him, having dodged to the right just before he attacked. He turns to face me, unfazed at my dodge and attacks again. I duck under his sword, whirling around with my sword out in front of me. The tip of the wood strikes his knees, to which he jumps back. I straighten my back and block his incoming sword with my own. We stay like that for a few moments, our eyes never straying from each other’s. I wink, and before he can react, I am sweeping his legs out from underneath him with my left foot. He falls to the floor; however he does not release his grip on the sword.

            Good, I acknowledge.

            Before I can attack, he rolls out of the way and hastily moves to his feet. He raises his sword in my direction.

            The truth is – I could have won this battle in mere seconds after it started. However, he needs the practice. Yet, now I have grown impatient and increasingly needing answers to my questions. With a flick of my wrist, I launch my sword at him. It strikes its target, knocking Quinn’s sword out of his hands and leaving him defenseless. Before he can move, I surge towards him, grabbing his wrists and holding them in an iron grasp. I kick behind both of his legs, forcing him to fall to his knees.

            He grunts as I laugh, “I would like my answer now,” I tell him.

            He sighs, and I let go of his wrists. I move in front of him and sit down so that we are at eye level. “You are forcing me to disobey our Goddess,” he reminds me.

            I purse my lips, “I am fully aware of this,” I tell him. “I am doing this so that I may better understand the situation. I have no intent to harm Penella if that is what you are insinuating.”

            He shakes his head, brown locks falling into his eyes. “No, I am only reminding you that we are breaking her rules.” I do not reply, to which he runs a hand through his hair. “After I tell you, you must not repeat this to any other.”

            “I will not,” I swear.

            He raises his eyes to the high ceiling and then back at me. He places his hands on his knees, “Long ago, Penella became impregnated,” he begins. My eyes widen, but I let him continue. “This would have been wonderful news, had the father not been human.” He inhales deeply – I do not breathe. “By being impregnated by a human male, Penella broke a major law among the Gods and Goddesses. Norun came to realize this, and then told her to leave their world in exchange for his secrecy. After this, you know the rest.”

            I open my mouth to speak, but no words are said. I am shocked to speechlessness, unable to fully comprehend Quinn’s words. I had not expected something like this.

            My mind suddenly clicks; this is just like the God Cyrus. By impregnating a human woman, he broke the law and earned a cursed soul. By being impregnated by a human man, Penella broke the law and earned a cursed soul. However, Cyrus had given his soul to his half-human son.