Chapter Twenty-Eight

            We return to Julen’s house with both the cure and the dagger, the latter because Julen had wanted to examine its engravings. He has become fairly interested in Norun’s symbol of allegiance and intends on adding it to his collection – of what, I am unaware.

            I lean back on the cushions of the couch and tilt my eyes toward the vial. The pale green liquid sloshes around as I hold it in my palm, and if I look closely I can see a single strand of hair twisting inside the liquid. The strand is blond – I wonder who it belongs to. If the love potion had required a strand of hair from one who was deeply in love, then this cure must have required a strand from someone who did not love.

            For a moment, my heart aches for the loveless person.

            Julen leaves the bedroom and places the dagger on the kitchen table. Upon returning, he had immediately gone to see his son and ensure his health and safety. Now, he looks at me with a smile on his face and a spark in his eye that is visible even from where I sit. My fingers suddenly twitch and an odd tingle spirals around my fingertips.

            Striding into the sitting room, he takes a seat beside me; the heat from his body warms my chest. Why is my face so warm?

            I clear my throat and focus on the vial, feeling my eyebrows furrow.

            “Are you alright?” he asks but I find that I cannot look at him, for I can feel the intensity of his gaze.

            “I am quite fine, thank you,” I murmur, and then divert the topic at hand because my palms are suddenly warm as well. I place the vial on the wooden table in front of us for fear of accidentally dropping it. “What are we to do next?” I ask.

            He exhales loudly and places his hands on his knees. “I had hoped you would know.”

            I grimace, and then finally allow myself a glance at his rugged features. “You have helped me so much,” I tell him. “I don’t know how I could repay you, but I do know that I must continue on alone.”

            His face falls, “I suppose you are right,” he sighs. “There are already so many issues I must deal with.”

            “What issues?”

            He gives me a smile then, one that crinkles the corners of his eyes. “Issues too small compared to yours.”

            “Humour me.”

            His smile fades as he focuses his attention on his hands. “Your arrival has caused a bit of a disturbance. Surprisingly, Rolaun is the least affected by your presence despite you directly being here. However, other towns like Wyltras and Imaccus are becoming increasingly curious as to who you are. Up until now, they only thought this world existed but now they realize that there are extraterrestrials who can easily come here and do as they please.

They are frightened, worried about an alien being coming and destroying Procratus and it doesn’t help that they know no authority to rely on. There have been riots; demands that the mayors of each town show their faces and tell them how they are handling the situation and what safety measures they are taking. At the moment, Rolaun remains unaffected because they know that you are no threat, but the other towns have not seen you for themselves and so they are unaware.”

He lets out a deep breath, “what I am afraid of is if the riots start here as well. Currently, Rolaun is at peace, but that can change at any moment.”