Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Adrian

            His heart lurches against his chest, his body arching upward until he sits up straight, his body tense and eyes only just peeling open.

            The twin suns of Maltha shine brightly into Adrian’s eyes. He groans, shielding his gaze and allowing time to adjust to the sudden glare of light. A few moments pass before he lets his hand fall to his side and cautiously stands. His feet feel unstable as he does so, however the feeling passes once he begins to move around.

            Desolate wind brushes past him, causing the black shirt he wears to ruffle. Slowly, he grasps the hem of the shirt in puzzlement. Where is my armour? He wonders.

            Taking in his surroundings as well as the sudden ache that pounds sharply against his skull, he begins to recall the memories that occurred before he succumbed to a foreign unconsciousness.

            Of course, he remembers. Quinn had come to know of Adrian’s true standing. He had turned to side with Norun not too long ago, however it did not take Quinn very long to realize this.

            That must mean the others know as well, he thinks, his mind whirling nervously. Norun will not be pleased with this.

            Stripped of his armour and with absolutely no method of escaping this abandoned world, he is forced to send a mental beacon for help, despite Norun’s heavy dislike of the act.

            It is a while later that two rogues arrive in Maltha. They hurry towards Adrian as he sits hopelessly on a flat rock, his hands clasped together, weaponless and clad in only his monotone shirt and pants. He watches them, eyes squinting to lessen the ache in his head.

            “What happened here?” the first one asks as he approaches him.

            Now that the two are closer, Adrian recognizes them as two of the lesser status rogues – Logan and Remaea. Logan waits patiently for Adrian to answer him as he tries to collect his thoughts.

            Adrian stands with a sigh, “One of the Agents found out about my betrayal. He hit me in the head with his sword and I suspect he took my armour and weapons back to Valsea with him. The others most likely know as well, including the Warrior,” he explains.

            Remaea gives him a pitying look, “Norun will not like this,” he says. Adrian stays silent, only nodding in agreement as he lays his palm against the back of his head. As the silence grows, Remaea retrieves two green orbs from his pockets and hands one to Adrian.

            Adrian takes the orb with a grateful smile, wincing only slightly as he does so. Quinn had surely hit him hard with his sword. Adrian can still see the look of betrayal that crossed his eyes as he confronted him. Quinn was one of his good friends, and Adrian had deceived him; he can most definitely understand why Quinn had hit him with such force.

            The three of them activate the orbs one by one, disappearing from Maltha without a trace of their presence. When they arrive in Nalhana, they are confronted with complete silence. Adrian takes in his surroundings with puzzled eyes, “where is everyone?” he asks Logan as his body reassembles beside him.

            “We have a visitor,” Logan answers. “Remaea and I don’t know who because we had left for Maltha not too long after the visitor’s arrival.”

            “And they all just allowed this person to walk around unwatched?” Adrian asks, suspicion lacing his voice. “That seems incredibly careless for Norun, especially considering the stress over Valsea and Penella.”