Chapter 10: I swear to be your knight

Bethany rode her horse into town, and was overwhelmed by the size of the crowd that had gathered around town square.

Giritin was still in hibernation, and the two hunters who had captured him were now dresses like executioners with dark hoods over their faces, cloaks of a dark black, and their hands holding two heavy axes.

The townspeople were questioning whether Giritin was already dead, his skin was a pale white, and his eyes hadn't opened since he granted the gift of life to Jiri.

Every once in a while the two hunters confirmed his heart rate, and the townspeople prepared their rotten vegetables to throw at him in shame, yelling slurs of suspicion at Giritin in hopes of getting a reaction.

Bethany dismounted her horse and let the wild beast returned to the woods before their great escape, before disappearing into the large crowd.

When someone new saw her armor, their eyes glowed in respect, and the symbols of Hedrin, a kingdom far from there glowed brightly back at them.

Bethany slowly uncovered her sword, carrying skillfully in both hands as she neared the stage.

The signal for the townspeople to pelt Giritin in filth struck the sky with a boom and the sky filled with the stench of rotten vegetables.

Giritin's once beautiful appearance was soiled by the unsightly stain of rotten tomatoes and cabbage that ruined his cloak, and Bethany's heart ached for him.

Her mother had told her exactly what he had done for Jiri, and she had the utmost respect for the man who had saved her little brother's life.

Once Bethany had made it through most of the crowd, the floor beneath Giritin's feet gave way and he was slowly being choked to death by the noose.

Bethany didn't waste any more time and used the shoulders of the peasants to fling herself towards the stage desperately. Her sword slice through the chains that held him and the noose that threatened his life, preparing for battle with the two hunters on stage.

Giritin fell through the hole in the stage and remained unmoving on the ground, completely submerged in a power saving sleep.

The two hunters charged at Bethany with their large weapons, and she disarmed them before any of the screaming peasants were hurt in the process.

Using the leftover chains, she strung them up for the world to see, and the townspeople threw food at them instead, eager to humiliate anybody besides themselves.

Bethany jumped down after Giritin and lifted him up and over her shoulder, wincing from the terrible smell.

She returned through the crowd where everyone willingly made a path for her this time, and she whistled for her horse to come and take her from the wretched scene.

Her horse looked resistant to hold Giritin on its back, but after a hard look from Bethany it willingly obeyed.

"It is time for us to return to Hedrin," She informed her loyal horse, "Will you accompany me again?"

Her horse whinnied in agreement, and Bethany's lips formed into an appreciative smile.

"I knew I could count on you," She whispered patting its head, "The fate of our lives is in your hands."

Mounting her horse's back, she took one last look at her mother's cottage, and said her final goodbyes.

"Forgive me if I never return mother, but we both knew this day would come."

The weight of her words sunk in painfully to her heart, but she refused to have any hesitation in her mind.

If Hedrin wouldn't be her final resting place, somewhere else would.

Anywhere but Drendecile, her heart would not be rested in this horrible kingdom.