Chapter 24: I cannot marry you!

Clover walked down the aisle with an ache in her heart. She thought it'd be easier to go through with this; follow her father's orders and merge her kingdom with Fairiosa, but the empty lair of the ogres was driving her insane.

Where had Ezekis gone? Was he really going to start an alliance with someone else? The thought of him standing side by side with another woman was diminishing her patience, and as she watched a welcoming smile spread across Prince Jay's face, she knew he wasn't what she wanted.

Her father handed her off to Prince Jay who was waiting patiently to receive her hand, and they both faced each other with another plan in mind.

This wasn't a union of love, but a twisted hunger for war, a business deal that was necessary to secure Drendecile's financial security while they sent their people off to war.

On the other hand, Prince Jay's reasons were purely the desire of his emotions.

After dragging Princess Clover into the deepest crust of the earth, he would reunite with Giritin in the afterlife, freeing his heart of the sheer terror of living in a world without the one he loved.

It was the perfect plan.

Their vows couldn't have been read faster, and as their lips sealed together, Prince Jay regretted staining his lips with the mark of such a woman. He swore he'd never show even the slightest affection for someone he didn't love, and here he was forfeiting his name to a despicable woman.

They drew apart, regret clearly plastered on both of their faces, and they both knew that neither one of them wanted this.

"I can't do this," Clover admitted, "No Prince in the world can erase what I feel... What I feel here!"

Her balled up fist slammed against her chest, emphasizing the overflowing emotions in her heart, and for the first time since they met, their emotions were synchronizing with the same pain.

Princess Clover fled the wedding hall, ignoring the angry commands of her father to return, and a dark smile spread across Agnes's face. He watched the deadly scowl spread across Prince Jay's face as he removed a bow and arrow from the wall, and took aim at the fleeing Princess with murder clear in his ominous aura.

Princess Clover pulled desperately at the front doors of the castle, desperately wanting to flee and find Ezekis, her back a perfect shot for Prince Jay's deadly arrow.

"I can give you your husband back," Agnes proposed, lightly touching Jay's shoulder, "But in return, you will help me win this war."

"War?" Prince Jay asked impatiently, "I don't have the time to waste on a petty war, I will take my revenge at this moment, just as I planned."

"And then what?" Agnes asked grinning, "Did you think you'd meet him in the afterlife? He's a user of black magic, the only place for a man like that is in the ashes."

"Do not speak of him that way," Giritin growled, "He is my husband, dead or alive."

"Then how about considering my offer? Agnes asked, "That way I can grant him life once again and plunder my payment after this petty war."

Prince Jay looked reluctant to agree, but the thought of seeing Giritin again overruled his hesitance.

"Very well," He agreed, "But if you break your promise to me, I will not hesitate to strike you down."

"Please do," Agnes chuckled, "In the meantime, I will gather the princess and deliver the news of this Union. We need absolute unity from the both of our kingdoms to succeed."

"Whatever," Giritin growled, "Let's just get this over with."