Chapter 21: The ultimate quest: Jiri

Jiri and Bethany's mother dashed around the kitchen in attempt to hide all of the weapons she had been stashing away from the royal guard of Drendecile in preparation of the annual house searches.

She had become a pro at it after raising Bethany to become the golden night of Hedrin, and now it was Jiri's turn to test her master skills of disguise.

He had grown to a strong, young adult in the months after Giritin had saved his life, and the hefty woman knew Jiri wasn't normal, he was a child born and raised of magic.

Since Jiri could walk, his actions, movements, and mannerisms were disturbingly close to Giritin's, and he had trapped his mother in a magic shell more than once during his coming of age.

Despite that, he was dedicated to protecting her from the guard, so when the daily visits got out of hand, Jiri wiped the guards memory clean, and mind controlled him back to his post before collapsing to the floor.

As Jiri grew older, his body grew stronger for casting spells, and he didn't faint as easily as he used to, but his mother had started to worry.

She was running out of time with her precious son, and she didn't want all of the lost time with him to sway him to the dark side of his powers.

Despite her worrying, his time eventually came, and the words that fell from his mouth made her heart ache.

"Mother, it is finally my time to find Giritin. I'm asking for your blessing to fulfill this quest."

She didn't want to grant him such a heavy request, but like Bethany she knew he needed to fulfill his destiny for the people of Drendecile, and for the fall of their wicked king."

"Never forget where you came from my dear," She replied lightly touching his cheek, "It is the only thing tying you to your humanity."

Jiri took his mother in a light hug, his attachment for her as thin as the thread in her hair, but he took her words to heart.

"I will not promise to you I'm coming back," He began with a flat expression, "All I know is that I have to get to Giritin."

"I understand dear," His mother comforted with a warm smile, and something inside Jiri shifted, "Remember, you will always have a place in our home."