Refusal

I was lost for words. There was no way I'd heard him correctly. Maybe I had a stroke. That seemed more plausible.

He just sat there quietly, waiting for my response.

"What?" I rasped.

"I want you to marry me, become my wife, all that good stuff."

"Why would I do that?"

He put a hand on my shaking knee, "I can give you everything you want."

"You just said that you lie to all the humans around you, why would I believe that?"

"That's why I built you this greenhouse, to show you that I'm worth believing, at least in this case." He grinned devilishly.

"Thanks but no thanks." I went to stand up but his hand tightened around my knee, keeping me in place.

"Well, there are other reasons for you to consider my offer."

My stomach clenched, "What are those?"

"Bowen Elizabeth Tarpi, I know everything about you. I know every member of your family, every friend you've had, every place you've lived, and I can take it all away in a matter of hours."

I snorted, "Yeah, totally."

His grip tightened, "At this moment your sister Cameron is in 4th-period pre-calculus at Rosalyn High School. Your mother teaches History at Roslyn Middle School. Today is your Father's Day off from work, he's at home watching tv with your dog Harley. Don't underestimate me."

There's no way he could know those things, I didn't even know half of that, but I knew enough to know that he was at least mostly right. I settled back down on the seat.

"Atta girl." He took his hand off of me.

"But why would you want me to marry you? I don't get that part."

"The same reason everybody gets married, I want a partner. Someone on the same page as me."

"What about all of those women who lived with you in the woods? I'm sure they would have jumped at the opportunity."

"They weren't what I need, they were all low self-esteem and helplessly in need of someone to trust. I need someone who knows the worst and can smile through it. Someone who isn't afraid, someone I don't have to lie to. And I think that's you." He reached out and bopped me on the nose.

"As flattering as that is," I say, but stop myself, because we both know I can't refuse. This is a deal I have to take.

"Plus," he adds, "In my field, it's pretty common to have some young thing hanging on your arm."

"So I've got to be a gold digger. Perfect."

"There are worse things you could be," he said, "Orphan, homeless, dead, so many things."

"I get it asshole." I snap, "Can I at least have some time?"

He shrugged and raised is eyebrows at me, "Time has its price, and a lot of people find that it can be very costly."

"So that's a no?"

"It's whatever you want it to be."

"Right," I mutter and rub my eyes with my hands. This man wouldn't do so much as blink at the idea of murdering my family, I knew that.

"So you'll take my deal?" He cocked an eyebrow.

"Yes." I sigh, defeated.

"Great!" He stands up, taking my face in his hands and kissing my cheek, "You'll be moving out of that dorm and into my house shortly, so you should probably go start packing."

"Why do I have to move?" I stood up as he began walking towards the door.

"Because I want you to, you better get used to that mindset sweetie." And with that, he winked and left.