Chapter Ten

The week doesn't pass by soon enough. Miss Lecher had hounded me about my attention span and my assignments, not once yelling at the other students who were doing worse work than I, my other teachers were frantic about the upcoming graduation, and I couldn't have cared any less, because I was excited to see Elliot again. By the time the school bell rang on Friday, I was so ready to leave; a bullet wouldn't have stopped me. I met Melissa and Katelyn at Melissa's locker after the bell sounded.

"Hey Melissa, hey Katelyn". They greet me back and begin talking about how their week went and about how exciting their weekend is going to be.

"We're planning on trying to go to another party in the other sector. We have a fool proof way of not getting caught."

"Are you sure its going to work? I mean, didn't you think you weren't going to get caught last time?" I ask.

"It's going to work. We're going to get to the other sector, get to the party, and meet some boys to familiarize ourselves with the crop before graduation." Melissa clarifies.

"Yeah, even if we have to put up with the untouchables to accomplish that." Katelyn adds.

I can feel myself start to get upset with Katelyn's comment, but I try to keep quiet. Elliot isn't untouchable; he's just a clone you pig. "You guys are still covering for me, correct?"

Melissa nods, "Yup, we've got your back. Even though you won't tell us what you're doing. Can't you just give me a hint, I'm dying to know something."

I shake my head and respond quietly. "I can't tell you, just incase I get caught. I can't have any witnesses or accomplices."

Melissa smirks. "So, its illegal then. That's good enough to curb my curiosity." I silently curse for not thinking through what I say. Melissa just laughs and throws her arm around my shoulder. "Come on. Let's go to my house before you leave." Katelyn throws her around my waist from the other side, and we make our way out of the school and to Melissa's house.

Mrs. Harper greets me at the door. "Lauren, how are you? I'm so sorry that you got sick last weekend, it must have been that carbonated drink."

I nod. "Yeah, it must have been." Mrs. Harper smiles and walks off.

I follow Melissa up to her room with Katelyn in tow. We get up and Katelyn locks the door behind us. The other two girls go over and sit on the bed, and I excuse myself to the bathroom, where I lock the door behind me. I set my school bag on the counter and look at myself in the mirror.

Something about me looks and feels completely different since the last time I was standing in this position last weekend. I have no idea what it is, but I have a gut feeling that it has to do with Elliot. I remember the notes that I hid in my school bag in my sketchbook. I rip open the bag and pull my sketchbook out and find the notes. My mother and father had been keeping me pretty busy the past week, so when I found the notes; I hadn't had a chance to read them. I tear the first envelope open.

Sassy Pants,

You cannot name that panda bear 'Bear', and of course names are important! Were you raised on the streets? I imagine not, but Bear cannot be his name. No. This can be further discussed this coming weekend when you come again. I cannot say anything about the means of the letter's arrivals, so you'll just have to trust me. As for your history lesson, I have everything prepared to blow your mind. I have to figure out how we plan on meeting this weekend, just so I know you're not going to get attacked again, so I'll send another note when I figure it out. –Elliot

I fold up the note and tear open the other envelope. I unfurl it and read the words.

Sassy Pants,