Chapter Twenty-Four

Sorry it took 5ever to update. School has just been kicking my butt. Pumped about Nanowrimo though! Enjoy the chapter, guys!

I lift up the hem of my purple-striped sweater and reveal the tender, red lines covering my ribcage. I run my fingers over the freshly laid ink and smile at myself in the bathroom mirror. I can't believe you actually did this Lauren. Oh my gosh, last night feels like a dream. How long should I wait before I show Elliot? Brandice said the tattoo would heal within a couple days. Man, I can't believe that tattoos used to take several weeks to heal. I don't think I'll be able to wait three or four days to show Elliot!

The sound of Elliot's voice coming from the other side of the bathroom door interrupts my thoughts. "Lauren, are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, I'm just-just uh... primping." I respond. Oh Lauren, could you have been anymore obvious?

"Alright, well, breakfast is ready and you have to leave for work soon, so wrap it up baby."

"I'll be right out, Elliot." With that, I hear his footsteps walk away from the door and I release a sigh of relief.

I give my tattoo a once over before I pull my sweater back down and straighten it. I smooth over my knee-length black skirt with my palms and give myself a small smile. You look cute today Lauren, flaunt that shit. My smile grows a little bigger and I breathe in deeply.

I make my way out of the bathroom and see Elliot sitting at the island waiting patiently with hands clasped under his chin.

"As gorgeous as you look, you couldn't have taken any longer. Come on Beaut, your food is getting cold." Elliot says with a glimmer in his eyes and a small smirk.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Hold onto your pants, Old Man."

I walkover to him and lean over closer to him, planting a kiss on his cheek. He wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into a sitting position on his lap. He plants his lips firmly on my mouth, and I can't help but smile at his aggressive eagerness. Oh Elliot.

He pulls his lips away from mine and I can't help but pout. "Elliot, why won't you kiss me?"

"Oh believe me, Sassy Pants, I want to so bad. But you need to eat up and head to work. You don't want to risk being late on your third day of work, do you?"

"If it means that I get to keep spending time kissing you, then I'll gladly be late to anything." I grip his neck and pull his mouth onto mine, giving him a big smooch on his lips.

He pulls away from me and scolds me. "Lauren, as much as I want to spend the whole day kissing you, you need to eat and go to work."

I pout and eventually follow his instructions. I force myself to eat breakfast, even though I am not hungry, and I am on my way to work in no time. I make my way into the Chip building and up to my department with 8 minutes to spare before I can be deemed "late".

I make my way over to my desk, and as soon as I plop myself own on my chair, Andrew Sutton is by my side with a notepad in hand. "Ah, Lauren, thank you for gracing us with your presence. Now, If you're actually ready to work, there are three cases that need your attention today."

"Three? Wow, isn't that a lot?"

"Well yes, but that's how it goes I guess. You either have none or you have a handful, there really isn't an in-between. Anyways, get to work!" With that, he leaves me to my job and a stack of chips to be read and analyzed.

I pop the first chip in and the red hologram flickers to life with the biography of a family expecting a baby boy.

Father of the child works for the Security Department specifically as a security officer who does patrol along the border. Father displays fits of aggression and generally is aggressive towards wife. Several domestic disputes have been file against father. Father doesn't have and particularly redeeming qualities, and spends a majority of his time at the bar drinking with his friends. Mother of the child works for the Educations department as a primary school teacher in the Wyndham sector. As fabulous people skills and is quite exceptional with children. Mother's hobbies include reading and writing. Mother picks up extra shifts away from home. Fetus may show signs of aggression that the Father exhibits, but Lab has yet to confirm.