Chapter 5

I got up and did my terrible morning ritual. Why can’t I just wake up, looking gorgeous? I grabbed my extremely heavy backpack, which was probably packed with the script for the Theatre scene. I rushed to my car, and drove speedily off. When I got to school, I saw a crowd, looking at the same blonde girl that was clinging to Jack’s life every time I saw him walk out of a classroom. She looked tear-stricken and angry, when she looked me in the eyes. I rushed through the doors and headed up to Theatre.

I opened the door, to see Jack with his head in one hand and his other hand twirling his pencil. I sat down next to him, and he looked up at me from his pencil.

“Hey, Alex, would you like to go out with me?” He asked, before looking sad and back at his pencil. Did he think I would say no? I cringed at just the thought. I smiled and then turned back to him.

“Sure, I will.” I replied, getting a hug in return. I heard keys being clicked. Was Jack really that popular? I smiled. I watched as Teacher walked up on stage and talked, but all I could here was Jack’s soothing clear voice.

After the final bell of another day ended, I walked past the basketball court to see the cheerleaders practicing for the game on Friday. Suddenly, before my eyes, the cheer captain fell off the top of the pyramid, and the basketball goal also fell with her. I started running towards the scene, when I saw Ms. Vlaydon holding the basketball goal in one hand, with cheer captain Cindy in the other, holding her by the scruff of her cheer uniform.

“Thank you so much, Ms. Vlaydon. I could have died under that basketball net. Thank you so .... We will join you.” Cindy said, standing up straight and brushing off the wrinkles and dust on her cheerleader outfit. The last part confused me. Join what? Wait, the spell. The black-haired lady in the coffee joint said five days, and today marked that number. What else could go wrong?

I trudged to my car, visualing the recent scene over and over in my head. Ms. Vlaydon was even close by, better yet in view, when the incident happened. How could she just got over to us so fast? I opened my car door, and sat down, seeing a ticket to a concert. I picked it up and practically screamed.

“OMG, a ticket to the Fun concert. Who ...?” I looked at the back and pulled off a sticky note stuck to the back. 

Hey Alex,

I was hoping you would like to come with me to the Fun. concert tonight? 

Signed,

Jack

I almost cried. He and I were so similar, yet so different at the same time. I backed out of the parking lot, being the best I could be after such an unexpected string of events.

When I pulled into my driveway, I noticed a jet black limo, parked adjacent to my doorway. I walked through the back door, and saw Jack, standing with a red rose in his hand. I covered my mouth and smiled secretly. He is the sweetest. 

I slid my hand into his, and he pulled me towards the limo. We drove and drove, talking and kissing. Finally, we stopped and I looked out. There was a large line of people, huddled around the doorway, trying to see the band that was inside. The concert! Jack pulled me over to a side entrance and handed me a necklace. I slid it over my head, and burst into tears. It was a VIP pass. We walked in, past the large line, who had the exact same necklace as Jack and I did. 

“Wait, why aren’t we in the back of line, like that poor family?” I asked, tugging on Jack’s shirt. He smiled and pointed. I saw Nate Ruess, being handed papers by a young brunette lady. 

“That’s my mom. She’s the manager for the band. So I get first pass to all the Fun concerts.” He bragged, raising his eyebrows, hoping for my approval. I nodded, and we strolled in, heads set at the band.

“Jack, how nice to see you! Who is this lucky girl?” Nate asked Jack, pinching Jack’s cheeks. Jack swatted his hand away, and started to speak. 

“This is my girlfriend, Alex.” Jack responded, pointing at me as we spoke. Nate turned to me, making my head go fangirl for a moment before coming back to reality. 

“Hi, Alex. I am Nate Ruess. Oh Jack, ...,” Nate turned back to Jack, “Where’s Jane?” Jack looked down.

“Oh!” Nate said, then looked at the stage guy, who was motioning towards me. The band hugged us, and walked away, towards the stage. I looked at Jack, and he pulled me into the front seat.

The concert went great. I smiled almost the entire time. After the concert, I went out to dinner with Fun. and Jack. The lasagna there was 1 million times better than I could cook, and I just burn it.