Trouble

The principal's office was exceptionally cold. The principal was a older red-head lady that was white as a ghost so the light was dimmed, A/C on as high as it could go. In my four years of high school, this was the first time I've been in the office.

I jumped out of my seat when Mrs. Lucas waved me in. The room was even colder than outside and I had to rub my arms to get some warmth. Jay gave me a 'I'm sorry I got you into this' look and I returned a slight smile. Levi was in the nurse's office treating his swollen eye. I was too give my accord of what happened, I was to determine how long Jay would be suspended.

"So Lily," The principal started. Jay scoffed.

"It's Lavender. Lavender  Drew. Not Lily." Jay stated straight faced. Ms. Lucas gave him an annoyed look.

"Wrong paper." She looked down, changing a few papers. "Ah. You're Ezra, you tackled the star of my archery club." She looked up at him and Jay gave a big smile.

"Correct."

"Why?" Her tone made it was clear that she didn't partially favor the angst teenager.

"He pissed me off." Jay shrugged slumping back in his chair. She stared at him for a couple minutes then whipped her head to me.

"What happened?" Jay looked over at me. I couldn't read his face. Do I tell the truth?

"It was because of me." The words slipped out of my mouth and Jay's posture straightened soon as I said it. The principal seemed happier with my answer.

"How? Everyone saw Ezra punch him. Levi confirmed it was he who gave him a black eye." She said defensively. Jay shook his head looking over at me.

"Ezra did punch him... I had a small cup of white paint, I accidently knocked it over on the painting, he turned around at the wrong moment and saw Levi bump into that girl and he assumed he did it. Ezra knew from another artists point of view of how hard I worked on it, paintings like that take a lot of time. Ezra just thought it was Levi's fault and snapped. I feel partly like it was my fault, whatever you give to Ezra, give it to me too."

Jay jumped up. "That's bullshit! She didn't do anything it was Levi's fault!" He yelled looking over at me then her.

"He didn't see it all happen, I did!" I yelled in defense.

"Why would she want to take the blame if she didn't hold a part in it?" Ms. Lucas questioned him. Jay looked so angry and defeated. Why would I take the blame for something I didn't do? That's a good question.

"I don't know." He answered truthfully.

She pulled out another form. "Ezra, Lavender, you both are suspended for a week. Is there a parent I need to call to come pick you up?" A knot formed in my throat.  My parents were away like they always were. They would pay the bills and drop food off then leave again. Their life involved a world of fun and enjoyment, not a teenage daughter. 

"No." Jay said sharply glaring at me. I looked down and shook my head.

She gave us the forms and excused us from the room. Jay slammed the door and I expected Ms. Lucas to come chasing after but she didn't. He darted out of the school, slamming every door he could. 

On the way out of the office the nurse's office door was open and she was dabbing a cotton cloth under Levi's eye. I frowned at him, I felt sorry that he was hurt so badly for no reason. He looked over at me and I was ready for him to yell or curse at me, but he didn't. He shyly smiled, giving me a small wave. I sighed in relief, I mouthed a 'sorry'. He said something to the nurse and after she nodded he stood from the small chair and ran over to me.