Comfort

*Lavender's PoV*

I picked out three stuffies, a tan bear with pink feet, a cow, and a small lion. I named the teddy bear Jobee, the cow Mint because of its accent colors, and the lion Apricot. I also picked out a couple outfits, and Jay picked out some stuff but he claimed it to be a surprise. I decided not to be an annoying girlfriend and just push to know what it was, sometimes surprises are good. But don't get me wrong, I was curious.

We shopped a little bit in the mall, I got a couple more outfits and so did Jay. He, which I found shocking, refused to let me pay for any of it. I felt like a spoiled princess carrying around bags of goodies on each arm.

"Do you want to go anywhere else darling?" Jay  asked as he stopped walking and pulled out a cigarette to put to his lips. I wanted to say something to him about his smoking habit, but I don't want to seem pushy or ungrateful that he spent so much money on me.

"No," I frown trying not to stare at the cigarette. "I can eat at the house."

"What is it?" He flicked the cigarette on the sidewalk and we started walking again towards his candy red car.

"I just don't like the smell of smoke." I was completely lying, it did have a disgusting smell to it though.

"I won't smoke around you anymore." He tried to reason and I smiled. Although he wasn't stopping, if I just always kept him around me he wouldn't be able to smoke, would he?

The drive home was slowly, although was more entertaining on the way home than it was on the way to the mall. A few of my newest favorite songs came on and I was enjoying it. I had my window rolled down, my hair flying all over the place causing knots, the wind against my face caused a smile I couldn't help. I closed my eyes, figuring this must be what it feels like to fly.

"We're here," Jay calls, turning the car off. I opened my eyes looking around, I wasn't at my house. There was a open garage and the house itself didn't look like it was in a very good shape. White paint was chipping off the window panels, the siding looks to have faded a few shades lighter than it was originally. "Don't judge it too hard, I've been working on it." He smiles, opening my car door.

"This is your house?" I ask, shutting my car door behind me. He nods pulling out his keys locking the car than walking up the sidewalk towards the front door. The door was a strange shade of orange, it looked burnt or a rusty color. I followed him into his house, and inside wasn't much better than the outside. It was messy, there were empty bottles that held varies of different alcohols and crushed cans, among with what I saw right away at least two ashtrays. I ran my finger along a table leaving a clean path on the dust. "Where have you been working on it at?" I joke.

"Fixing holes in the walls, pulling up carpet, stuff like that."

"Ah," I tried to say it enthusiastically but it came out forced.

"I just wanted to grab something," He turned around and handed me the keys to the car. "If you want to sit in the car you can, might take a while." He emerged a pack of cigarettes that were hidden behind an empty picture frame sitting on the also dusty fireplace mantle. I sighed taking the cigarettes and waiting in the car while he got what he needed.

I was humming along to a song when my ringtone went off, echoing in one of the plastic bags from the mall. I searched through the bags, mentally cursing myself for not remembering what bag I had put it in. When I found it, the tone was luckily still ringing. I swiped the answer call button before looking at the caller ID, it was a bad habit I'll admit.

"Lavender May Drew! Where are you at?" An authoritative voice yelled, "What did I tell you? You don't leave this house unless you're going to school." I pulled my phone away from my ear looking at the ID - Parent #1. It was my mom. I nearly jumped when I looked over and Jay was opening the car door to sit down.

"Who's that?" He mouthed, brows furrowed in a curious expression.

"Hi Mom," I say nervously, looking over at a very confused Jay to also answer him. It didn't help him much, he only squinted his eyes more crooking his head a bit. "I went to the mall with a friend."

"To the mall?" She yelled. "Your father and I were worried sick, weren't we dear?" She called and I rolled my eyes. "Yes, yes we were Marien." I hear my father answer my mother faintly in the background.

I scoffed rather loudly. "I'll be home in a few minutes okay?" She was still yelling when I just hung up. 'Your father and I were worried sick' yeah right.

"Yes, yes we were Marien." Jay mocks in my father's mono voice. I snickered, I heard the resemblance. He took me home putting the car in park in front of the house. "If you want you can leave some of the stuff." I nodded, that would probably be best. My mom would throw the stuffies away if she saw them, it would be "too childish" and "just unacceptable for a teenage girl."

My mom met me at the front door, slamming the screen door loudly.

"Is this how you thank me?" She yelled, grabbing my wrist pulling me into the house. I looked back at Ezra quickly before she slammed the door shut. "All the shit I do for you, all that I've given you! Fucking spoiled brat, that's what you are." She jerked the bag of clothes out of my hand throwing it in the corner of the room. She barked and barked, pulling and yanking me up the stairs towards my room. Finally I think after she lost her breath she push pushed me in my room and again slammed my door. I sat on my bed, rubbing my eyes trying to relieve the sand that felt like it was sprinkled in my eyes directly. I could hear my mother's heels clank as she stormed down the stairs and her also start a heated arguement with my father.

I would text Jay, just to tell him I was okay even if I wasn't just so he wouldn't worry. I know he saw my mother and her outburst, I didn't need him knocking the door down to rescue me. I thought in my mind the perfect excuse for her actions, trying to in a way justify it. I don't know why I even tried though, I had put my phone back in the bag which my mom slung in the corner of the room downstairs.

I had just laid down when I hear a faint tapping on my window. I shrugged it off as just a tree branch, but after three quick taps I realized it was a knock. Quietly I snuck over to my window and open it, seeing Jay standing right under my window in the yard.

"Can I come up?" He mouthed and I looked around, how could he get up here? I didn't have a latter or anything for him to use to climb up to a two story window. Of course though, I forgot his capabilities and was climbing through my window within ten minutes. He nearly tripped and fell onto my floor but caught his balance. "I'm really not good at climbing through windows." He sighed running his fingers through his hair.

I smiled softly, trying not to look as upset as I was walking back to my bed where it was darker.

"Darling? You okay?" He whispered sitting beside me on the bed. I laid down, resting my head in his lap.

"I'm happy you're here." I say instead and he pets me softly. I close my eyes and in seconds I drift into a dreamless sleep.

____________________

What are your thoughts currently on this story? Do you feel like it's getting better or more boring? Is it missing anything? What would you like to see happen?

Leave your opinions / thoughts, I read every single one.

I like being active with you guys 😊💐

⭐️Comment and Vote!⭐️