I Couldn't Wait

"I'll miss you. Maybe I can fly out next month," Sapphire told me with tears in her eyes. We always had the saddest goodbyes. Either one of us is crying or both of us. There is always tears. We hugged each other tightly before they called my section to board the plane. "Text me as soon as you land," she told me, wiping tears off her face.

I promised her that I would and handed the old man my ticket. He scanned it and handed it back to me. Luckily I got a window seat, and I could see Sapphire from the giant windows. She is flying out to see her other friend is Texas today as well but her flight isn't for another two hours.

~-~-~-

My dad's bright yellow jeep was waiting for me by the front. My mother jumped out to hug me while my father took my suitcase and put it in the back.

"I missed you so much. You are never allowed to leave without me ever again, understood?" she told me in a firm voice, but I could easily tell that she was kidding. My mom liked to pretend that she was serious when in all reality, she is one of the most sarcastic people to ever walk this earth.

The ride home seemed to drag on, since all I wanted to do was be in my own bed. While Sapphires bed was one of the more comfy ones I been in, there is nothing like sleeping in your own. It has molded to your body, so it's like sleeping in a little shell.

Or at least mine is like that. Is it supposed to be like that?

When we pulled up to our little house, I bolted out of the car and inside. First I ran to the kitchen in search of food since I hadn't eaten anything today and it is almost noon. I didn't want to buy food on the plane and I didn't have time to buy it at the airport.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw that my mother had backed my favorite cookies. I quickly picked one up and stuffed it into my mouth before opening the fridge and getting the milk out. You cannot eat cookies without milk.

I poured myself glass and sat down at the counter, consuming at least five of the cookies.

After making myself feel fat, I decided that it should probably take my things upstairs so I grabbed my suitcase and walked towards the stairs.

"There's a surprise up on your bed," my mother yelled up the stairs to me. I stopped in my tracks and sent her a confused look before proceeding up the long staircase.

In my room, just like she had said, was a white envelope with messy hand writing on the front that said my name? I set my suitcase next the door and changed into shorts and a tank top before climbing onto my bed and picking the note up.

Dear Riley,

Don't worry. Your mom let me in but I couldn't wait until you got back to give this to you. You need to let me explain. Meet me at the tree at midnight. Please, just trust me.

My eyes scanned over the note time after time. I can't believe he actually remembers the tree. We used to hang out there almost every day during the summer last year. It wasn't that big of a deal then, we didn't really think about it, but all of our best memories are there.

Our names are carved into the thick oak and we have found rocks to line the tree with. We nailed wood boards to one side of the tree that people couldn't see so that we could easily climb it, since there wasn't any branches to hold onto down low.

I don't want to forgive him. I don't even want to go. If I do, I'm going to get caught up in the moment. Part of me thinks that maybe he didn't mean it but how could he not? He willingly let her kiss him. Right in front of me.

While it is very important to forgive people, I can't do that if what they did is practically unforgivable.