Childhood Fears

The cold night air bit at my skin as I walked. The tree is about a fifteen minute walk from my house so I had my headphones in playing Evanescence loudly to drown out of the eerie noises the came with the dark.

The dark is one of my biggest childhood fears, and it still around today. I'm fine if someone is with me, but if I'm alone, it takes everything in me to keep my composure.

A small dirt road veers off to my left and I know that down the steep road is where the infamous tree lays. I carefully make my way down, using the flashlight on my phone to help guide me. Once I reached the bottom on the steep hill, I brushed on my hands and started right, trying my best to remember where the tree is.

Then I saw it. Still standing strongly and tall, unlike the friendship that it help build. I took in the sight. Even in the night, it still brought back a flashflood of memories. Things that I'll never be able to forget, no matter how things turn out with all the guys. I'll still always have all the memories.

I slowly crept forward until I saw the familiar mop of hair. His body looked relaxed but his facial expressions told me otherwise. I could only see half of his face, but I could tell that he was thinking hard over something. I awkwardly cleared my throat to get his attention and his gaze snapped to where I was standing.

"Hi," I whispered to him. He sent me a shy smile before standing. He stepped forward, standing chest to chest with me.

"Hi."

My mind was telling me to move back and not let him touch me but I couldn't get my legs to go it. They didn't want to. As much as I hate to admit it, I liked being this close to him. Feeling the heat radiating off of him. It was calming but in a way that still made me want to slap him.

My arms took control before I could stop them, wrapping themselves around his neck. He pulled me close to his body, shoving his face into the crook of my neck. It felt comforting to hug him. I felt safe as he slowly rocked us back and forth. I never wanted to let go and by how tight he was holding onto me, I don't think he did either.

"This feels so wrong," I mumble into his shirt. He let's go of me but still holds me at shoulders length.

"This, what we have, is anything but wrong. I just mess up, a lot. Let me explain what happened with Taylor, okay?" he told me in a low, calm voice. I slowly nodded my head and sat down on the blanket that he had set out.

This time when he sat down, he kept his distance and put his hands in his lap as he sat crossed legged. I patiently waited for him to explain because I really didn't want any of it to be true. I want to be able to call him mine because as much as I hate to admit it, I do like him.

"We walked over to that bench and at first everything was fine, until she looked over at you. I guess you were turning around she basically threw herself on top of me. I didn't know what to do at first but you have to believe me when I say I didn't kiss her back. To be honest, the only thing I was thinking about is you," he spoke softly. He slowly moved closer to me and placed his hand on top of mine.

"I believe you Drake. I trust you. I was just, hurt I guess. Because I thought that you actually liked me and then you go off and kiss other girls. But I do believe you," I took his hand in mine and laced our fingers together.

We sat in silence before he pulled my into his lap and held me in a tight hug. He shoved his head into my hair, breathing heavily.

"Thank you," he mumbled.

Very short chapter, I'm really sorry and the next one will be too. I have everything planned out now though, and there is exactly twenty more chapters. Thank you all who have read this. It honestly makes me feel wonderful. And don't be afraid to comment either. I'll try and respond to them if they are meant towards me.

Have a wonderful day Shadows.