Lies, Tricks and Little Slips

"What do we do?" Clara asked her friends. She knew no one knew the answer, she just wanted to get the question out there.
"No idea," Rosa answered for all of them. They stood there for what seemed like hours thinking and not saying anything until they heard a call from behind,
"Hey! Guys!"
The friends looked behind them and saw Jasper weaving his way in and out of random objects the attic contained.
They ran forwards to greet him, glad to see him back alive.
"Wait- where's Sophie?" Lizzie asked, remembering one of her best friends. Jasper looked at the floor uncomfortably.
"Umm, well, she- er..."
"Spit it out Jazzy-boy!" Rosa yelled, annoyed that her friend had not arrived with him. Jasper looked slightly taken aback by Rosa's comment and quickly tried to explain,
"Well, there is a ghost in this house, it's haunted."
"Yeah, we know! But it's not actually a ghost anyway! What do you think we've been doing all this time?" Eliza asked him.
"I'm sorry, how was I meant to know? I've been stuck in a cardboard box sized room with no food, no drink and not being allowed to speak for a day! What have you been doing then?" Jasper exploded onto them.
"It's fine, Jasper, continue," Clara told him. She shot the other three girls a nasty look which told them to shut up then turned back to hear Jasper's story.
"So I said I was stuck in a tiny room. How did I get there? Well, when we were downstairs in the dining hall me and Sophie went to try and see what was underneath the table, and we saw a trapdoor. The bad thing was, Sophie was sitting on the trapdoor and the ghost opened it. Wait- hang on a minute? Didn't you say it wasn't actually a ghost?" He looked at Eliza.
"Yeah, well, we found some stuff and we think it's all a big trick but please, do continue," she replied. Jasper kept explaining,
"So, Sophie was now flying down the trapdoor and I tried to help but couldn't get her in time. It looked like it went down to the cellars. Because I had now seen this, someone/something grabbed me from behind and took me another route up to the attic and put me into the room. Then I was stuck until I found a way out and found you lot." He sighed to show his story was finished. Clara showed him what they had found.
"Someone is behind this. Holograms and ghosts both can't grab people and drag them away. We're not alone in this house, and my bet is that they will be down in the cellar. Where Sophie is. We need to get her back."