Chapter Four ~ Discovering Secrets

Nothing more moved.

It was quiet.

You decided to move slowly to the door and glance around the house for any signs of the winter soldier. You weren't scared of him, you just didn't want him to get the book.

All clear.

You ran.

The wind cold, as it makes your hair fly all over your face.

You had escaped your apartment. You couldn't go back. Shield were out on another mission. You weren't sure where Tony was. You just ran.

Eventually you reach an alleyway.

You checked your pocket for your phone.

No phone.

You can't contact Steve. You decide to sit in a dark corner and hope that the man with the metal arm doesn't find you. He can't get his hands on this book. Whatever is inside it is obviously very important.

Your eyes drift down to the book.

You run a finger across the star. The same star you saw on the Winter Soldiers arm.

Looking at the code you simply hack it, Tony taught you the best ways.

It opened with a 'ssss.' Your excited (E/C) eyes scan the book. You couldn't wait, you had to see what was inside. It was haunting you.

The first page had the following words, '1940 - mission complete. 1991 mission complete.'

The next page had large bolded words saying 'The Soldier experiment.' Your eyes flicked to the next page. It told the story of how Hydra found a soldier, supposed to be dead, James Barnes, and how he was taken and experimented with, brainwashed and then was to complete missions. It said certain words were to be spoken to activate the soldier. To use him for missions they would have to speak those words.

The book also had many pictures, of James, Bucky Barnes.

It had different drawings of his metal arm. What was inside it. How it worked.

The whole story was there.

Along with valuable information on Hydra. After finishing reading your eyes almost bulged out of there sockets. You couldn't believe it.

Bucky was alive!

Steve, shield, no one must have see this yet! Otherwise they would have known about the winter soldier. About Bucky!

You gasped taking it all in. Suddenly feeling a wash of mixed feelings. Poor Bucky! Steve! He has no idea. You have to let him know. As soon as possible. This book was very valuable. Very important. You needed to protect it. Bucky is alive, and he's lost, trying to find his way home. That made you sad and mad and what Hydra had done to him.

Crunch.

The noise echoed down the walls of the alleyway.

"Who's there! Move into the light or I'll shoot!" You stand and hide the book behind your back. Your aimed your gun into the darkness.

Then there he was, stepping into the light. The winter soldier.

"Give the book to me."

It's muffled, but you hear it.

His arm was outstretched. He was unarmed. Atleast you hoped. You looked into his eyes and found a lonely, quite terrified man. "Bucky..?" You breathe, not to loudly.

The winter soldier gazes at the book then up to you.

He doesn't say anything. "You're Bucky, James Barnes." You lower your weapon.

The Assassin, looked down and to his metal arm then back at you.

You took a step towards him and you catch him back up a little. You realise you still hold the gun, so your hand drops it.

"Here, I won't hurt you."

You realise from reading the book. That This was just a terrified, tortured man,
He was Bucky. He was just a normal person. Not a killer, not an assassin. "Why are you after this?" You step closer, while he just looks at the book.

"Do you remember? Do you know who you are?"

You take another step now, only 2 meters away from him. You waited for him to speak. His face was saddened and he looked like a lost puppy.

Instead he took off his muzzle.

You both stare at each other. "I'm sorry, I've asked too many questions." You cringe at yourself and look down.

You notice his face seemed to soften.

You stepped closer slowly, "You know, you're not evil, or bad." Step after step you slowly and eventually reach him. You pause and look to the book you held so closely and protectively in your arms. This book deserved to go to Bucky.

"Here." You hold the book out to him. But he doesn't take it. Not too interested in the book but more about you. He studies you quickly.

"Why aren't you afraid of me..?"

For the first time you hear his voice properly.

"You're, normal. You're not a killer, not evil. Your a person. Your just like me."

Bucky's face seemed to look confused as his eyes darted away from yours. He'd never known someone who wasn't afraid of him. He'd always been lonely, he was the person everyone was afraid of, people hated him. Because of what he'd done. He was supposed to kill people.

"Steve, your best friend is worried about that file you stole- he's worried, about basically.. You. You know?" You find the urge to touch his metal arm again but you don't, even though it's obvious with your staring.

"I'm trying to- to remember."

You nod, as you hear his quiet voice. "Bucky-" you stop yourself and take a deep breath preparing your self for what you were about to say. You felt like you needed, you wanted to help him. You wanted to save him. Bring him home.

"I can, I mean I want to help you remember."

Just as you finish speaking Steve, dressed in his Captain America suit jumped down from a building and tackled the winter soldier, or Bucky as you now realise.

"Steve! You'll scare him! Stop! Leave him alone!"

Your voice shouts.

Bucky, being afraid quickly defends himself and with his metal arm he hits Steve across the head and jumps up making a run for it. He didn't want to hurt anyone.

Steve gets up quickly after but is stopped before he can run.

"Steve!" You run up to him and grab onto his arm with both hands. "Steve, you- He's- He's your friend!" You spew words out to him then run out of the alleyway to see if you can spot Bucky.

No luck.

He's gone.

Steve runs to you with a confused expression as he lowers his shield.

"(Y/N) what- what happened? What are you saying?" Steve put two hands on your shoulders and looked you in the eyes.

"I'm so sorry." You glance at the book in your hands.

"Bucky. The Winter Soldier is Bucky."

•••

So.. Yeah!
Dang.
That chapter was a mess I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way I wanted but oh well. Hopefully the next chapter will!