Chapter Sixteen ~ Sandra

I know what you're thinking.. why did you torture us with no updates!? I'm sorry guys I was super busy and so here's a chapter to kinda help me feel less guilty and to hopefully ease your tension. Heheh.

Bucky slammed his fist down on the motorbike.

No gas, in the middle of nowhere.

What was he to do now?

In the distance, he heard an engine. It was roaring his way. He stuck his hand out in hope of catching a ride.

He wanted to find the perfect place to burn the book.

The small bug of a car pulled up to the side and its window rolled down. The old beaten up car reminded him of the 40's. It was a similar style.

"Where you headed mate?" A Middle Aged woman poked her head out. Her accent sounded very Australian.

"Uh- to- to the closest town south." He stepped forwards with his hands balled into fists. His nerves pricked the Inside of his stomach, he wasn't used to this.

"Ah, you're in luck. I'm on my way there right now. Jump in."

Bucky walked to the other side and got in. The car chugged down the highway, as it struggled.

The woman clears her throat and gives a side glance at Bucky. "I'm Sandra, what's a fellow like you doing in the middle of the desert?"

Bucky noticed how she didn't recognise him. His face was everywhere; On TV, the radio, newspapers. Anything you can think of. He was seen as a terrorist, an assassin.

"I don't know, I just felt like a cruise I guess." He lifts his cap off to run a hand through his hair.

"What's your name?" Sandra reached down to her cooler and pulled out a can of coke.

"Bucky."

"Bucky, that your name eh? Here, want a drink? Sorry the old bugger don't have any air con." Her laugh was dry as she handed Bucky the can.

"Mhm. It's a nickname." Bucky opened the can and tilted his head back to take a sip but he caught her eyes flicking back and forth at his arm.

He stared at her with suspicion with his head tilted back, half sipping the drink from the can. Awkwardly, their eyes met.

Bucky quickly swallowed.

Her eyes darted back to the road.

"Excuse me for being nosy, but why the gloves? Don't feel the heat or something? It is about 46 degrees." Sandra's hands gripped the steering wheel tightly.

Bucky felt a sting of panic. What now? Does she suspect something? Will she find out who he is?

But he thought of you and what you would do in this situation. He remained calm.

"No. That's none of your business."

"Alright, alright. Sorry for asking. Mind if I make a quick call? I forgot to call my mother back earlier." She chuckled and pulled over.

Bucky clasped his hands together and listened in.

Sandra jumped out of he car and made
Her phone call.

"Hello? Yes, yes. Of course. I believe so. Thank you."

Bucky couldn't make out what she was talking about, but he did notice quite a difference of tone in her voice and her accent seemed to change slightly.

"Right. You know where. Very well. If I must, I will.. Goodbye."

Bucky didn't feel at Ease. More thought flooded in. This doesn't feel right. Go with your gut Bucky. Get out of here.

Just then she hopped back in.

"Crazy Grandmother." She cackled and started the engine again.

Bucky frowned. "I thought you said you were calling your mother."

"I did? Silly me, I meant.. crazy Mother." This time when she laughed it was a little shaky. Bucky instantly knew he wasn't safe anymore. "Pull over. Now." He said firmly.

"But we are almost to-"

"NOW." Bucky's voice sounded threatening.

The car sputtered to a stop. "Who are you really?" Bucky gripped the door handle ready to escape.

"What are you talking about?! I'm Sandra. Who else would I be? Are you okay?" Her hand hovered over to her side.

"I will only repeat this once more. Who are you!" Bucky angrily spoke.

Sandra seemed to grow tense and a little nervous.

Bucky got out of the car and went around to her side and ripped her door off it's hinges.

When he bent down to look inside and grab her out of the car she was gone.

Bucky's eyes widened as he stood up properly. He heard a sound then before he could react a body dropped on top of him. Sandra had jumped from the top of the car onto him and tackled him down to the ground.

Bucky pulled at her trying to get free but she had a gun pointed to his head.

He lay there with his hands raised.

"Soldier, or Mr. Barnes, whatever you prefer.. you will be coming with us." Sandra's accent was no longer Australian. She was Russian.

Bucky's teeth clenched.

She pulled him to his feet.

In the distance all sorts of engines were heard. Helicopters, cars, trucks. Bucky noticed the tattoo on her ankle. It was so familiar...

Wait. That sign.

Hydra.

Sandra held the gun to the side of his head. "Move and I will pull the trigger."

Bucky stared into the distance with anger as helicopters and vehicles arrived. Hydra. Hydra was here. They had found him. His worst nightmare became reality, now they were able to find out about you.

"You know. I really started to like you. You'll be perfect once we brainwash you again." She smiled sickly.

"You're scum! I'm never going back there. I will-"

"How sweet." Her eyes moved to his chest. "Oh what do we have here." Her hand reached into his jacket pocket, and She pulled out the book

Bucky flinched but he heard the gun safety click off. "Well done. Well done. You managed to retrieve it!"

Hydra agents got out of the vehicles and surrounded the soldier. Their weapons were pointed directly at Bucky.

"Let's get you back to where you belong."

Bucky was about to pull the gun from her hand when he felt a click as a device was locked around his neck. Two men had placed some sort of brace around his neck that electrocuted him making him drop to the ground in severe pain. Sandra stood above him. And he noticed a figure moving towards him. The mans face was red. But everything seemed to blur.

"We have retrieved the Winter Soldier, Sir."

•••

Okayyyy. Yeah so that was tough. I'll upload the next part soon. ;)