Petrification, Sinks and Signal

Natalie’s POV

“You seriously stalked them on their date?” Tamara asks Jennifer. I give Jennifer a stern look. How could she do that? Seriously.

“Why would you do that?” I question her, wanting to hear what her excuse is.

Jennifer looked offended. “Hey, I only stalked them halfway! It was going fine so I left.”  My eyes widen at the new information. The date was fine? No arguing....Wow....

“They didn’t fight?” I question, sounding surprised. You can’t blame me for that. Those two would fight like there’s no tomorrow most of the time they’re together. 

Jennifer shrugs. “Well, there was a bit of bickering but what would you expect?” I nod at that. Of course there would be some bickering. Then the bell rings for breakfast. The three of us separate to go to our tables according to our houses. I carefully step over the huge puddle of water that had come from a cooking cauldron, not that far away.

After a few moments of patiently waiting for our food, house elves who work for our school comes in with our plates. I thank the elf who set down my plate. The elves wave their hands then the food magically appears. But before anyone could eat, Professor Dumbledore calls for attention.

“Good morning students. I’m sure all of you had a good night sleep and day of spending with your loved one yesterday to those who did.” He smiles at us. “However, I must enforce a couple of rules.” Rules? Did something happen last night? “All students are to go back to their dorms by 6:00 pm sharp. No exceptions unless you are with a teacher. The house prefects are to guard the entrance from the common room until their Head House teacher comes to enchant the entrance for the night so that no students can sneak out.”

I turn to Zoey. “Did something happen yesterday that I don’t know about?” Whispers broke out across the Great Hall.

“I’m sure all of you are curious about the sudden enforcement of these rules.” He says, making the students quiet down back into silence. “Last night, around 1:00 am, our caretaker, Mr.Baker found a student here in this room who appears to be attacked.” Gasps went across the room. “More like frozen. Unmoving. Much like a statue.” Like a statue? What does that mean?

Joey leans over. “It’s probably Michelle. She’s the only student missing other than Milly.”

“Is Melanie next or something?” Zoey questions. Michelle was attacked? Do I even need to ask who? It’s probably the same person who accidently hit Lewis and messed up his memory. There is just too much going on these last couple of days. After that, we’re allowed to start eating our breakfast.

“Wasn’t Michelle with Lewis yesterday?” Zoey asks. I nod stiffly. I look over at the Gryffindor table to see if I can spot him. I accidently lock eyes with Brian and I immediately turn back to Zoey.

“Where is he anyway?” I wonder out loud.

“He’s right there sitting at the very end of the table, talking with his friends.” Joey observes.  

I hate how he is sitting there eating breakfast while Michelle stayed with him in the infirmary when he got attacked. Ok, she fell asleep but still. She still stayed with him. Lewis didn’t seem at all injured. So does that mean they were separated during their little ‘date’?

“Don’t automatically assume things, Nat. Hear the guy out.” Joey says, sensing how tense I am.

“I’m just scared what Jennifer is going to do with him.”

Zoey laughs. “Come on. It’s Jennifer, she won’t hurt him. She’ll be too busy eating rice krispies.”

 ***