Shepherd of Fire Part 11

My senses slowly came alive but my eyes would not open.

"What do we do?" I heard someone's voice speak softly.

"Do what we did last time?" People were shuffling around the room and the bed I was in dipped.

Someone took a deep breath, "I don't know guys. Something seems different this time. If only Wendy were here, she would be able to figure something out."

"I'll do it."

"Do what?"

"If we touch her, she forcibly pulls our magic out. I'll eat while she's draining me and that should help."

The silence was broken after several seconds. "You know, that might work. Natsu, Lucy, Happy, you guys go get fire wood. Gray and I will move her outside. Freya, could you get some blankets so that we can cover her?"

My consciousness was going in and out like a damn lightbulb. I had no track of time and the next time I was slightly aware, blankets were being wrapped around me and I was lifted up off the bed. They were moving quickly. The succubus was trying to absorb the eternano from whoever was holding me, even through the layers of blankets. The temperature dropped and I was no longer in anyone's arms.

"Gray, you alright?" Lucy called out. Guess it was Gray who carried me.

He replied back slowly, "Yeah, she must be really low. She was able to absorb some even through the blankets. Natsu, you sure you want to do this?"

There was no reply and the clanking of sticks broke the silence of the night. "Erza, you light it. I can't eat my own flame."

"Requip." I could only assume Erza switched to her flame empress armor and lit the fire. It was at that time, my consciousness faded.

***

A spiral of eternano flowed through my body with an intensity of fire. With a gasp, I shot upward with my hand outstretched. Opening my eyes, I realized I was nose to nose with Natsu and my outstretched hand was almost grasping his head as if to pull him closer so we can kiss. My eyes widened in realization and I moved back, looking at the group of people around me. They all had looks of relief on their faces.

"Glad you're awake." Natsu said before falling unconscious himself right into my lap.

"Natsu!" Happy screamed and flew down to his friend.

Slowly, I stood up and wrapped Natsu up in the blankets. "He'll be fine Happy. Just needs some fire and he'll be back to his old self." I stumbled over my feet and almost fell but quickly caught myself. "Damn, still need more." My eternano levels were still dangerously low. "How long have I been out for?"

"About a day." Freya spoke up. She went to put her hand on my shoulder but I moved back.

"She still needs to feed and you not being a wizard would put you in danger." I spoke up. "Let's see. Juvia had a mission near the border, right Gray?"

Gray blinked a few times. "Yeah but what does she have to do with anything."

"Nothing." I left my response as is. "We should get going soon. If anything were to happen, I'm too weak to fight and with the things that have been coming after us, we can't afford it." I grabbed a stick that was burning bright and held it over Natsu's face. His nose began to twitch and he quickly began to inhale the fire. Once all the flames were gone he let out a large belch and sat upright.

"That was tasty!" Natsu rubbed his stomach and he took notice of me standing. "Hey you're awake!"

I nodded to him. "Yeah, now we have to get to the border as soon as possible. Hey Freya, our job was to escort you to the border. Is that where your other escorts are going to be?"

She shook her head. "No, we have an additional home on the border. Once we get there you all can rest." She leaned down and whispered. "And I'll have someone help you." She left with a wink. "Well, what are you all waiting for? It's early morning, the sun is going to be rising soon. If we keep going, we'll get there before sundown. Some of my guards will meet us a bit before the border and I can have a message sent to your friend."

The group continued forward talking about Freya's additional home, which is more than likely a mansion, but Erza stayed back. "Yes, Erza?"

"Are you alright, Whitey?" She matched her stride with mine as we followed out of ear shot of the rest of the group.

With a deep breath I looked to the color changing sky, "I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me. I'd rather sin then hurt them. I've already endangered you all, and don't want to further. But, seems like even then I'll hurt someone." My eyes glance to Lucy for a brief moment. "What happened after I fell unconscious?"

Erza crossed her arms and stared straight ahead. "We weren't far from another town when you, Lucy, and Happy fell unconscious. The owner of the inn was a retired medical advisor and she assisted us getting Lucy and Happy back on their feet. Since we couldn't touch you, we couldn't administer the same treatment. It was Natsu who thought to give you his eternano. Once we moved you outside so we can have a fire for him, he grabbed your arm and you leaned closer to him. I'm assuming once you had enough to wake up, you jolted and you remember the rest."

I shoved my thumb into my mouth and my fang caught it, making a pearl of blood travel down my hand. "When I woke up that wasn't me. Damn it, she almost kissed him. That would've broke Lucy!"

Erza put her armored hand on my shoulder. "She would've understood."

"No, but still. I don't want to ruin their relationship like that right now. It's already as fragile as it can be. But when we get to the border..." My tongue lashed out and ran along the blood. "My eyes are set on someone who will not only help but will benefit as well." Erza eyed me curiously.

"You mean Juvia?"

"Oh no, someone else." I bit my lip as my eyes targeted a certain person in our group.

***

The sun was high over the sky and our stomachs began to rumble. "Food!" Happy cried out only to then be echoed by Natsu. "Lucy! Why did you have to eat the candy bar? You're big enough, you don't need to eat!" Giggles filled the air and a certain celestial mage was beginning to fume. "At least you should've given it to the old woman who's in our group!" I immediately stopped, eye twitching.

"What did you say, cat?" I growled. Happy saw my face and instantly took to the sky. "Cat and mouse, my favorite." I shot after him and easily caught up as my wings were larger. I snagged his tail and began bringing him down to the ground near Lucy.

"No! I'm sorry that I speak the truth!"

"Haven't you learned the first time?" Lucy grabbed his face and began to stretch it.

"Animal abuse!" He cried and we continued to walk. It was a nice change of pace until we heard leaves getting ruffled.

Everyone got on high alert and circled around Happy, Freya, and I. Out from the tree line were three men, all of which were dressed in armor.

"Lady Freya!" They all cried out pushing everyone away and harshly landed on their knees in front of the blonde.

"Micah, Nickole, Silas!" She wrapped her arms around the three and gave each one a dazzling smile. "We weren't expecting to see you till a little bit later."

"Well, we decided that we couldn't wait any longer and decided to accompany you back to the estate. There's a carriage through the brush that will take us there." One of the soldiers spoke.

"Thank you for risking all you have to find me and escort us back." Freya stood up and followed the three passed the brush where they indicated.

I took a deep breath, and followed the rest of the group. Pushing passed the tree, there was indeed a large carriage waiting to escort Freya back.

"These are my friends, they will be joining us at the mansion for a few days as additional payment for being my escort." Freya answered the confused glances to our group. Going through the group, I opened the door to the carriage and sat down on the seat. Wrapping my wings around my body as a blanket, I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes. "Sleep Lil, you deserve it. We'll wake you when we get there." With hearing Freya, my consciousness subsided never feeling the carriage begin to move.