9. the prodigal boss

Cooper left the team and Russell head to their office as she handled the agents coming to ask about Gillian—because she wasn't a cop anymore, and she had other colleagues to worry over her

Cooper left the team and Russell head to their office as she handled the agents coming to ask about Gillian—because she wasn't a cop anymore, and she had other colleagues to worry over her. Cassidy stormed out of the elevator a moment later. Cooper turned to him, nodded at the team's office and faced her staff again.

Cassidy stalked into the office, not hiding his agitation. "How is she?"

The team hardly paused what they were doing to look up at him. Aldana was the only one who thought of inviting him to join them.

"She's out of the OR and the doctor said she'd be fine. Connor and Brockner stayed at the hospital."

Cassidy let out a relief sigh that surprised the others. He took a moment to get a grip on himself, dropped his go-bag and approached the desks.

"Do we have security footage?" he asked.

The others traded a glance at the 'we'. Tanya replied mostly out of habit.

"I'm isolating the timeframes we need. Kurt is enhancing captions to see if we have enough to run a facial recognition."

Ron walked in with his phone in his hand. He stopped at seeing Cassidy there and shot a questioning frown at the others. Hank shrugged.

"Banks is on the way with all he got on the first shooting," said Ron.

"First shooting?" repeated Cassidy.

Aldana told him what they knew in a few words.

"And you sure they're not from any gang," Cassidy said.

"Positive," replied Fred, as if daring Cassidy to question him.

Hank decided it was enough of the Friend of the Year contest. After all, Cassidy had dropped everything in DC to come to Boston as soon as he got word of what had happened to Gillian.

"I still can't get how they knew Reg would be there," he said.

It worked. Ron and Fred forgot their parental scowls at Cassidy and all of them turned to Hank.

"They had to follow her," Fred repeated.

"But she would've noticed if she was being followed," argued Cassidy.

The others let Aldana give the patient answer to the outlander. "It's a downtown store, and traffic's always jammed in those narrow streets during working hours. You get anywhere faster walking than driving."

"So she wouldn't pay attention to a car driving too slow because all of them are driving too slow," said Hank.

Ron shook his head, frustrated. "The video seems to continue the teaser we watched first. They're all wearing the same clothes. But there's no way to tell how long they drove around, or where to, before stopping at the store."