8. out

Cooper strode out of the elevator, heard the voices coming from the team's office and corrected her course

Cooper strode out of the elevator, heard the voices coming from the team's office and corrected her course. It took her straight to bump into Fred, heading for the toilet.

She didn't step back all the distance Fred expected. She stood only a step away to glare at him.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she snarled, her glare mapping out his stubble, the shadows around his eyes, his wrinkled clothes from the day before, his hair.

Fred thought not even the worst drill sergeant from his army years had ever made him feel so scrutinized—and found so guilty.

"We're trying to find the subjects, ma'am," he replied, holding her glare.

"You stayed up all night." Yeah, so guilty and ready for the electric chair.

"Yes, ma'am." Maybe confessing would spare his life?

Cooper glared down at his feet and he took a step back, as to keep them from catching fire. Exactly what she wanted. Now she could stalk into the office and stand by Gillian's desk, lightning and bolts fuming out of her until the others turned to face her.

Fred waited by the door, just in case there was anything he could do to save his brothers in arms.

"Did any of you get any sleep at all?" she barked.

Banks took a mental note to tell Gillian she was crazy, trading Cook for this blood-thirsty devil on high heels.

They shook their heads, their survival instinct advising against daring the Iron Lady.

Her eyes met Banks' with an open accusation. "Isn't the PD on high alert, looking for the subjects?"

Banks and Taylor nodded.

Cooper stretched her arm out with a finger like the barrel of a gun. It pointed at the team, then at the door.

"Get out of here. Now!" she snarled. "And don't come back without a four-hour sleep, a shower and clean clothes. You're of no use like this!"

Russell was brave enough to speak. Or at least try. "But, ma'am, we need to—"

"I. Said. Out."

They all saw the layer of frost spreading from her toward them over the carpet at the speed of light. It was going to creep up their bodies and froze them death in a heartbeat. They all grabbed their things and hurried out of the office toward the elevators, Banks and Taylor in pole position. They heard Cooper's voice echoing all over the empty office, addressing her assistant on her way to her office.

"Call the techs. I want them all here in thirty or their resignations. Kurt O'Brien too. Tell him to take on whatever Lawrence is doing, wherever she is."

They all got stuffed into the same elevator.

Cooper's voice still thundered as the door slid closed. "And get me the Commissioner!"

Taylor huffed, pressed against the steel wall. "Man! How can you work for such a bitch!" he whispered, in case Cooper had the elevators bugged and heard him.

To his and Banks' surprise, the others smiled.

"That's her way to show she cares," said Hank with a slight shrug.

"For Reg and for us," said Aldana.

"You gotta be kidding."

"Hey, you don't get to be called Iron Lady with hugs and smiles," said Ron.

"But it doesn't mean she doesn't care," said Fred.

Banks and Taylor traded a look like a street billboard in flashy neon lights—feds...