5. wheels

**Picture: Boston Theatre District

Tanya sent Aldana, Ron and Hank the link to the tracking map she was using. So Aldana opened it on her tablet and guided Russell north down Blue Hill Avenue. The GPS showed Kyle's phone moving northwest toward Dudley Square.

"Brian lives there," said Fred from Banks' backseat.

Banks turned his police scanner on to warn the officers watching Brian Hall's place, while he and Taylor stepped on the gas to catch up with Russell.

Back at Gillian's house, Tanya kicked Connor's door open and turned on the ceiling lamp. Connor and Tim squirmed like worms, trying to steal their faces away from the cruel light.

"The team's chasing Reg's shooters," Tanya said loud and clear. "Get up. I need help."

That was enough to make Connor sit up in bed. The girl hurried downstairs, hearing the boy get up and stumble on his friend, sleeping on a mat by his bed.

"Get up, Tim!" Connor grumbled, pulling up his jeans.

When Tanya sat at her computer in the family room, she noticed the erratic course the GPS showed. It sparkled across the South End, moving now west, now east.

"But always north," said Ron.

"And they drove by two streets away from Hall's place," said Hank, eyes on the map as well.

"They gotta know we're tailing them and they're trying to lose us," said Russell.

"But they're heading downtown," said Aldana. "I don't like this."

"There's an APB on the car," said Hank. "Can they be such morons to risk being spotted?"

"What if that's exactly what they want, since they could only threaten me?" said Fred.

"Shit. I'm calling the dispatch," murmured Banks.

"Looks like they're going to Chinatown," said Tanya, as Connor and Tim made it down the stairs.

"Or the Theater District," said Taylor. "Pretty crowded on Thursday nights, even this late."

"I don't like this," Aldana repeated under her breath.

At the exact moment Connor sat by Tanya and opened his computer—Tim was ordered to make coffee—the GPS signal speeded up, straight across Bay Village and into the Theater District.

"Shit!" growled Russell, flooring his car.

"They stopped!" said Aldana and Tanya at the same time.

"Shit! Tremont and Boylston!" said Ron. "They just had to pick the most crowded corner of the whole damn District!"

"Bob! Call any beat cops in the area!" said Russell.

Tanya saw Connor was accessing the traffic cameras system and zoomed her map in. "It's steady at the trolley station," she said.

"O'Malley and Huxley are there," said Banks.

"Call for backup, just in case," said Fred.

Russell pulled over by the T station a moment later. Both beat cops scanned cars and faces around. Russell and Aldana approached O'Malley, who stood with his back to the baseball field. The man recognized Aldana right away.

"Hey, Sergeant. Nothing on the car so far," he said.

O'Malley overlooked that Aldana had traded Sergeant for Agent over a year ago. He didn't overlook Russell, though. He was too young to know Russell from his years in blue, so as soon as he spotted the FBI badge, he shot the mandatory stay-out-fed warning look.

"I've got them," said Connor. "The car shows driving south down Tremont. They stopped at the traffic light and then just drove on across Boylston, always south down Tremont."

"But the GPS signal is still at the corner," said Tanya.

Russell spun around and strode to the curb.

"We're looking for a dropped phone," said Aldana to O'Malley, following Russell.

They found it soon, on the street by the curb, a few steps away from the walkway. Russell kneeled to grab it when the distinct blast of a gunshot overcame the traffic noise. People on the sidewalk froze and ducked out of instinct.

"Stay here!" Russell commanded O'Malley. "Keep people safe!"

He and Aldana drew their Glocks and sprinted across Boylston, dodging cars as they went and shouting people out of their way. Banks and Taylor cursed their cars for not being an F1, still a minute away from the trolley station.

"Allen's Alley!" said Connor. "Their car's right outside!"

Russell stopped Aldana at the corner of the alley and made her stick to the wall.

"I said down!" yelled a boy from the alley.

Russell peered in at the same time an engine roared to life and a car swerved out of the alley onto Tremont St., to skid away in a cloud of white smoke. Aldana took a finger across her lips for Russell to pay attention.

"Guys, send an ambulance, just in case," he whispered.

He and Aldana cocked their Glocks and tiptoed into the alley. What they'd heard was the suffocated sobbing of a man lying on his belly. He tried to keep his face to the ground and his shaky hands up.

The man saw their feet approaching, as well as the shadows cast behind them, showing armed people pointing down at him.

"Don't shoot me!" he cried, raising his hands as much as he could.

Aldana locked and holstered her gun to kneel by him, resting a soothing hand on his shoulder.

"FBI, sir. You okay? Are you hurt?" she said. "Can you move?"

The man needed a moment to process they weren't about to shoot him. Finally he dared to push himself up to his knees and meet Aldana's reassuring smile. He had a nasty blow to his face, that bled down his cheek to drip on his shirt. Aldana showed him her badge to help him calm down.

"Ambulance on the way," said Russell, still scanning the alley.

"You're safe, sir. You'll be fine," said Aldana. "Can you tell us what happened?"

"Those kids... They took my car..."

Russell swallowed a curse. "Good news, guys. They've got new wheels."