12. circle

**picture: JP Monument on Centre St

**picture: JP Monument on Centre St. - Jamaica Plain, Boston

As if he had a map of the area before his eyes, Banks gave precise orders to the units already involved in the chase, to weave a net that would catch Joey's pack and leave them no exit.

"He's not gonna surrender that easy," said Hank, isolating their frequency from the police scanner.

"His father didn't," said Aldana. "And he's taken Wood as his role model."

"We're forgetting the other two boys," said Ron. "I don't think they wanna go down in a blaze of glory like the Woods."

"They're gonna follow Joey's lead," said Russell.

"Shit," Fred grumbled.

One street west of the traffic circle, Ron and Hank found two cruisers blocking the side of Perkins St. going east—to the circle. Two uniforms kept the blockade and directed the cars south onto the cross street, while the other uniforms waved at the cars coming from the circle to speed up past the cruisers.

As Ron and Hank parked their SUV by the cruisers, Russell and Aldana went on south. Centre St. had also been blocked a street away from the circle.

Back at the field office, somebody turned the TVs on. News channels had noticed the unusual deployment of police units and decided it could be good material for a breaking news report, so they had helicopters in the air, broadcasting live as they followed the cruisers. While producers tried to get any official word about what was going on, anchors excelled at speculating.

In the team's office, all eyes were fixed on the live feeds from traffic cameras.

"They just drove past Westerly," Connor said. "They're still stuck in the jam you guys are causing."

As soon as he spoke, two cruisers drove out the corner, one street east of Westerly, and blocked Centre St.

"All accesses to Centre are blocked," Taylor reported.

"We need to clear the sidewalks," said Russell.

"You feds do it," replied Banks.

So Russell drove almost up to the circle. He and Aldana got out of the SUV with their flashy FBI Kevlars, drew their Glocks to make more of an impression, and took each a sidewalk. They trotted down the street toward the circle, urging people to get indoors and stay there. Ron and Hank did the same down their block to the circle.

"They're past Creighton," said Kurt.

Two more cruisers drove around the corner of Forbes St, barely three cars behind Joey's.

That tipped the boy off. Joey and his friends thought there had been a car crash up ahead, and that was why they were no cars coming from the opposite direction. But now he realized what was going on. He glanced up at his rearview and spotted the cruisers moving to block the street behind them.

"Shit!" he snarled, stepping on the brake. He reversed until he hit the bumper of the car behind them. He ignored his friends' questions as he geared in again and turned the wheel as much as he could.

"Grab your gats and get ready!" he shouted. "They're coming for us!"

He floored the stolen car, a firm grip on the hand brake, and made the car screech and fume on a sharp U turn.

"Shoot'em outta the way!" Joey howled, struggling to set the car on a straight course to the cruisers.

A dozen uniforms and detectives ran after the fugitives from the circle, waving at cars to speed up and away from there, as the cruisers blocking Westerly St. drove to join the blockade at Creighton St.

Kyle and the other boy stuck their bodies out the windows until they sat on them, automatic rifles in their hands.

"WATCH OUT!" shouted Taylor from the barricade at Creighton St. as the car drove closer.

"DOWN!" yelled Banks, running from the circle among his men.

Kyle shot a long burst at those behind them, while the other boy opened a steady fire on the cruisers and the men shielded behind them. As his friends kept shooting, Joey floored the car, aiming for the rear of one of the cruisers. Their only chance to escape was that the impact of the crash would push the cruiser out of their way, and their stolen car would still be in shape to drive away from the barricade and lose the cops on their tail.

Russell, Aldana, Ron and Hank joined Banks and crouched to duck the bullets as they kept running. Taylor and the officers with him fired back from behind the cruisers. The stolen car was hardly twenty yards away and still speeding up, the boys sitting on the windows to keep shooting, when an engine roared out of Sheridan St, halfway between the circle and Creighton, into the havoc of shouts and gunfire.

"HOLD YOUR FIRE!" shouted Banks and Taylor at once when the black SUV rocketed straight to crash the right side of the stolen car, so hard it pushed the car almost up to the curb on its left.

The boy on the passenger's window took the worst of it. He was launched onto the SUV hood and rolled over it down to the street, hitting his head on the pavement.

At the field office, everybody gasped as the voices of the TV reporters escalated to loud exclamations.

Down on the street, there was a surreal gap of silence as the SUV and the car stopped against the curb.