1. modern love

"But everything changes, if I could
Turn back the years, i
f you could
Learn to forgive me t
hen I could
Learn to feel..."

Aaron Lewis, Everything Changes

**picture: Massachusetts General Hospital

Connor had his chair stuck to the bed, and leaned to his mother as he held his phone for both of them to see. Gillian chuckled softly, a hand to her chest, as her son laughed out loud when Cassidy stopped to knock on the open glass door.

She looked up, saw Brock behind him, and said to the phone, "I'm doomed. He's back and he just caught me awake."

Brock followed Cassidy into the room with a curious frown. The voice coming from the phone speaker took him completely by surprise.

"He's there? Oh, let me talk to him!" Andrea?

"If I lose my soup over your call, you'll be in trouble, girl."

"I'll atone in the kitchen."

"Deal!" Connor replied brightly.

"Take care, Reg. Call me later, Con?"

"Yup."

Gillian smiled at the phone and glanced at her son with a slight nod. Connor handed his phone over to Brock.

"It's Andrea, sir," he said, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

Brock scowled. He didn't like video calls, and he wasn't about to talk to his daughter on speaker for all of them to hear.

"Tell... Tell her I'll call her in a minute, please," he said.

Connor shrugged and turned the phone to see the screen. "You heard'im."

"Yeah. Bye!"

"Thanks," muttered Brock, producing his phone. "I'll be right back."

They watched him walk out and around the bend, and Cassidy turned to Gillian with a mocking smile.

"You were talking with Brockner's daughter, Gillian?" He scoffed. "Aren't you just the perfect modern family."

"Shut up," she grunted, to keep from chuckling. "One day my boy here's gonna build up the guts to ask'er out and you're gonna visit me in prison. 'Cause Agent Brockner's gonna kill my boy and I'm gonna kill him."

"Yeah, sure."

Connor frowned. "What? Ask Andy out? Me? I'm afraid that ain't gonna happen, Mom. Like, never."

Gillian took her turn for the, "Yeah, sure."

Connor made a sign that clearly meant 'later' and stood up. "Gonna fetch a soda."