2. payback

Gillian couldn't help sliding into a hollow sleep, and Brock called Russell for an update

"Nothing new," said Russell, putting the call on speaker.

Aldana explained, "Wood's apartment in Roxbury was rented more than a year ago to the current tenants."

"We showed them Joey's picture," said Hank. "They didn't recall seeing him around since they moved in."

"By the way," said Aldana. "Wood lived only a street away from Gomez."

"That would explain how Gomez knew Wood's son," said Brock, thoughtful. "If the boy visited his father regularly, they must've come across Gomez on the street. Enough times for Gomez to recognize Joey and know his name. What about the mother?"

"Another big fat nothing," grunted Ron. "When Joey was released after Wood's death, he only went back home to pick up his stuff, and then he just vanished."

"His mother said he was angry at her. He accused her of turning her back on him and his father, and that she'd never see him again," said Fred.

"Did you believe her?"

"I think she exaggerated the breakup to keep us from questioning her any further about her child," said Russell. "But there was nothing in her apartment to make us think anyone else lived there, even eventually."

"Anyway, there's something here we're still missing," said Fred.

"What do you mean, Morris?"

"You see, on a gangs map, Joey's mother lives in Skulls' territory. It was their leader's house that Wood blew up, killing him and his dealer. Now the Skulls are the Eighty-Five's main rivals. And Joey tried to join the Eighty-Five? Those two things can't be a coincidence."

"Maybe the Skulls bullied or hurt Joey in the past," Brock replied.

"Or rejected him, like Marley did," said Hank.

"So he tried to join the rival gang in order to get back at them."

"I think you just said the key word here, Brockner," said Ron. "Get back. This boy's driven by a sick hunger for revenge."

Brock didn't need to ask Fred for him to explain. "Four years ago, the MS13 tried to take over the Skulls' turf. The Skulls were able to stand their ground, but the Maras promised to come back and level the hood. So the Skulls' leader—the one Wood killed two years ago—sought us for help. When the Maras came back with a damn army, ready for slaughter, the Skulls led them to a trap. We ambushed them and even caught many of them alive."

From under his focused scowl, Brock's eyes darted to Gillian's relaxed face. "You think that's why Joey's targeting the officers who helped the Skulls back then."

"Well, and let's not forget that Reg and Fred were also involved in his father's death," said Russell.

"But there's something more to Joey's need for payback," said Ron. "Marley showed us where he thinks Joey lives nowadays. And there's plenty of room to park the stolen car along his block. And no security or traffic cameras. Not one."

"Had he parked out his door, T would've never found it," said Hank.

"Yet he left it fifty yards away from Marley's corner," said Aldana.

"He knew street cameras would allow us to identify the car after shooting Gillian," said Brock with a slow nod and an enjoyable tinkling in his fingertips, telling him they were getting to the right conclusion.

"Exactly," said Ron. "He left it there to frame Marley and his boys as cop killers."

"The quickest ride to the morgue for a gangbanger," said Fred. "Especially with Gomez gone."

"And Gomez was the first one he shot," said Hank.

"We think he did it to get back at the Eighty-Fives for rejecting him when he tried to join them," said Russell.

"Gosh, poor boy," muttered Aldana. "He turned his life into a mess of crossed paybacks, maybe just outta hurt pride."

"Poor boy?" Fred repeated, taking offense.

Aldana shrugged, knowing nobody would be willing to sympathize with the lost boy.

"We need to find him," said Brock, more serious than usual. "Looks like he's a paranoid narcissist, just like his father was. He won't stop until we catch him. What did you set for the night?"

"Gallons of coffee," Ron replied. "We've got half a dozen places to watch, so we're teaming up with Banks' boys to do it."