13. cornered

Ron and Russell sprinted toward the crash

Ron and Russell sprinted toward the crash. Inside the SUV, Fred needed a moment to shake his head and clear it. Then he unbuckled his seatbelt and jumped out with his Skorpion.

Joey wasn't harmed, only stunned. He grabbed a thirty-eight S&W from under his seat and sneaked out of the car before Fred set foot on the street. Kyle had fallen off the window on the sidewalk. He moaned, grabbing his leg, but he still had his Micro Usi. So Joey pulled him up on his good leg, rounded his waist to hold him up and helped him to hop away from the crashed car.

"They're getting away!" cried Aldana as the boys hurried into a store. "There! The market!"

Taylor jumped over the hood of a cruiser to join Fred.

A burst of gunfire and screams came from inside the market. Ron grabbed Russell's sleeve and dragged him into a bicycle repair shop, next door to the market. Aldana, Hank and Banks went on up to the market. Fred and Taylor were at the other side of the door, crouched to stay hidden.

There was another row of noises inside. No shooting this time, but the sound of shelves falling and voices yelling at each other in Spanish. A door was slammed further inside the market as a woman cried out loud.

"Al, Banks, you guys cover any back exit," said Hank.

As they hurried away, he traded a look with Fred and Taylor, and the three of them stormed into the market.

"They took my husband!" cried a woman behind the counter, pointing to a backdoor at the end of the store.

"What's in there?" asked Taylor.

"Storage! And the door to the backyard!"

They strode over spilled goods from two fallen shelves and reached the backdoor. Hank grabbed the knob. When Fred and Taylor stood ready to shoot, he yanked the door open. They ran into a storage room with boxes piled up against the walls. They heard the noises and voices across the room.

"POLICE! STOP!" shouted Taylor.

The only answer they got was the bang of a door kicked open. They sprinted toward it.

Like the woman said, the door opened to a narrow backyard. Several garbage containers were lined up on both sides, for the shops and the building on top of them. So there had to be an easy access there for the trash collectors. Fred pointed ahead. The left wall of the backyard ended in a hedge. And there was a wire-mesh frame at the end of it. At the other side, they saw a large open space that looked like a parking lot.

Ron and Russell ran out of the repair shop a second later. Only a few yards ahead, Joey pushed their hostage, forced to hold up Kyle as they tried to reach the wire mesh.

"FREEZE!" shouted Hank.

Joey grabbed the man's collar, pulled him away from Kyle and turned around with him as a human shield. Behind them, Kyle had to stop and rest against the wall.

"DROP YOUR WEAPON, JOEY!" shouted Russell.

A wolfish smirk pursed the boy's lips, ignoring the five Glocks pointing at him as he gloated at realizing they knew who he was.

"COME AND GET ME, HEROES!" he replied.

"Don't make us, kiddo!" Ron said. "Drop your gun and raise your hands. Nobody has to die today!"

Joey let out a dry, bitter laugh and shoved his hostage roughly toward them. At the same time, he and Kyle raised their guns.

"DOWN!" yelled Hank, as Fred jumped onto the man.

They fell to the ground just in time to dodge the first round of fire, and crawled behind the nearest container while the boys swept the narrow yard in a long burst.

The others took shelter too. Through the loud sound of the shooting, they heard Aldana over the radio.

"There's a parking lot opening right behind the yard," she said. "Push'em past the mesh. We're here to catch'em."

Still shooting, Joey had Kyle throw an arm over his shoulders and helped him hop up to the mesh. The frame was secured with a chain and a padlock.

"Shit!" snarled Joey, glancing back at the man he'd let go, who was bound to have the key to that damn padlock. "Cover me, bro!" he said to Kyle. It wasn't a thick, hard frame, so maybe he could twist it and open a gap on the lower half, enough for them to crawl through to the other side.