11. on the run

**picture: Center and Burroughs, Jamaica Plain, Boston

The dispatch took it as a routine call: two armed boys—one black, one Hispanic—in gangbanger gear had just robbed a groceries' on Centre St., in Jamaica Plain. Two beat cops where near, so one stayed at the shop and the other chased the boys on foot down Centre St, heading north. Two cruisers responded and headed there. Not a minute later, the beat cop called over the radio, still panting after the run.

"It's them! Wood's kid waited in the car two streets away! They took Green to the east!"

Banks heard the alert and floored his car as he called Russell. His warning put the team on their way out.

From her office, Cooper saw them run to the elevators and walked out to ask what happened. She was surprised to find half a dozen people in the team's office. Lawrence, O'Brien and Philips she knew. And that was Gillian's son. The other two boys, Connor's age, she'd never seen before. And she was sure her staff didn't include teen agents.

"Access in three," said Tanya, typing into Warp. "Pillbug, take the groceries' block and confirm it's them. Tim! You take the corner of Centre and Burroughs and confirm it's the car. Mike! You take Centre and Green and follow them from there. Kurt, Bran! You guys check if they crossed Armory St. and follow from there."

"They found them?" asked Cooper, stalking in.

"Yes," replied Brandon, glancing up from his screen. "But they couldn't follow them. So we're trying to find out which way they went."

"The police are already working to block any out of Jamaica Plain," said Kurt. "But it's too much ground to cover."

Cooper turned to the strangers. "And you are?"

"My friends," replied Connor with a quick smile.

"They're MIT geeks, ma'am," said Tanya. "I trust them better than our techs to do this."

Cooper scowled at such a statement, but nobody even noticed.

"They turned north on Lamartine!" said Mike.

Tanya murmured something into the mike of her earphones. "Units on the way," she said aloud.

Banks' voice came out of her computer's speakers. "Keep an eye on Lamartine and Centre by the T station."

Kurt turned on the plasma.

"Got it," said Connor. He hit a key and looked up. The corner Banks mentioned showed on the large screen.

"There!" cried Tim with his high-pitched voice, his finger pointing at the screen.

They all saw the stolen car swerve out of Lamartine St. onto Centre.

"They're heading west again!" said Tanya on the radio.

"They're trying to cross to Brookline," said Ron from the speakers.

"And flee our jurisdiction," snarled Banks. "Like hell."

"We can catch'em at the JP Monument circle at Centre and Perkins," said Taylor. "We've already got enough units in the area, and more on the way."

"Let's take it from the west, guys," said Russell.

"They just hit traffic," said Kurt. "ETA to the circle?"

"Three to five minutes," said Connor.

"More than enough," grunted Banks.

Cooper realized she'd been holding her breath, eyes fixed on the plasma, listening to them. So she took in a mouthful of air, knowing the next few minutes would twist her belly.