19. back home

Brock let Russell and the team go ahead and take the elevators while he stayed in the SUV, pretending to check his phone

Brock let Russell and the team go ahead and take the elevators while he stayed in the SUV, pretending to check his phone. He knew there would be nothing. Gillian hadn't sent him even a one-word text to return any of his calls over the last three weeks. Well, she needed to find a good hideout, because he meant to see her during his free weekend, whether she wanted or not. He'd talked to Andrea, and it'd been her who said he should stay in Boston instead of going to DC.

"I need to study hard for some exams coming up next week, Dad, and I can't pay you much attention. So you better stay in Boston and get some rest. It's been a hard month for you."

He could tell there was something more behind her words. And he already had his own theory about what that something was. So he played along. Because his conspiracy theory matched exactly what he wanted—needed to do.

He'd gone to the field office only to retrieve his car and a couple of files he wanted to work on over the next days—until the weekend, when chasing-Gillian-to-death season would be officially open.

So he took his go-bag to his car and headed to the fourth floor. Silence was a blessing after three weeks with the punks around twenty-four/seven.

On his way up, he went over what he'd decided to tell Gillian. He didn't want her to hide and sneak around like a thief. He wanted her to know he wouldn't be calling every day anymore. He'd stay out of her way as much as he could from then on. He didn't want her to feel harassed, chased, whatever she might feel about his stubborn tries to contact her. That was over for good. Well, actually, it'd be over as soon as he could talk to her and say all of it.

He sighed when he stepped out of the elevator. It was all so sad. But there was nothing more he could do about it. Unless Gillian were as kind as to let him know what she needed him to do about it—stay away, Brockner. Do you need a neon sign to get the meaning of her silence? No matter what you feel about each other, she wants you away.

Another sigh tried to escape his lips, but never made it out. Tanya and Kurt were at the door of the techs' cave, talking with Brandon. Both men nodded at Brock as he walked by, while the girl greeted him with her usual bright smile.

"Evening, sir!"

"Good evening, Lawrence," he replied, incapable of smiling back.

He had a glimpse of Russell and Aldana in the staff kitchen next door to the cave. They seemed to be talking to somebody out of Brock's sight, and they didn't notice him passing by.

Russell's office was dark, but there was a light on in his. It looked like the foot lamp between the armchair and the window opening to the parking lot. Odd. Cleaning staff worked with all the lights on. And it was too early for them to be there, anyway. It was also odd that the blinds to the hall were shut.

Brock pressed on down the hall. As he walked past Russell's office, he saw somebody in his office through the glass door connecting both. But he strode too quickly to see anything else. There was a person standing before the window, looking out, back turned to the door.

He yanked it open and stalked in. The person by the window turned around to face him. Brock halted. A chill ran down his back when Gillian flashed a mild smile at him.