17. the hook

"What!? You're already home?" cried Russell from the phone speaker

Tanya giggled at Gillian's offended reply, "Yeah, I'm home."

"But not off the hook yet," said the girl. "Cooper negotiated her release under some conditions."

"I see. What did she bound you to do?"

"Well, I'm still in bed for another couple of days. And T's working from here to make sure I don't get up. I'm telling you, Russ, I thought Connor was a tough watchdog, but now that these two teamed up, I'm missing the hospital."

Russell took his time to laugh, then he asked, "So you're not going to the office, T?"

"Nope. Hope nobody breaks in while we're away."

"You should thank Cooper, Reg."

"For what? She only sized a unique opportunity to get rid of all of us for a couple of weeks."

Gillian asked about the procedures and they talked until Connor came in with dinner on a huge tray.

"Why are you two eating here with me?" asked Gillian, concerned about the wellbeing of her new black comforter.

"'Cause I don't want you to remove the sling the moment we turn our back on you," replied Connor with a wide smile.

Gillian rolled her eyes. She hated that her son knew her so well. At least she got to scold Tanya for keeping her computer at hand while they ate.

After dinner, she swore on three holly books she wouldn't take the sling off or get up, and convinced Connor and Tanya to leave her alone. As soon as they left her room with tray and computers, she grabbed her phone. At least the sling didn't bother her to type.

"We need to talk."

She didn't get to leave her phone back on the nightstand before it buzzed. She sighed. Why didn't Taylor get the memo? Had she wanted to talk to him, she would've called instead of texting.

"Hey," she greeted him, trying to sound fine and casual.

"Hey, Reg. Sorry to call to reply to your text." So he did get the memo. Then what? "Y'know? I don't think we need to talk."

Gillian arched her eyebrows. "We don't?"

"Not yet. Unless you already convinced Brockner to let me be your best man. I'd love to walk you down the aisle, y'know." Her jaw dropped open. Taylor scoffed at her speechless lack of answer. "It's okay, Reg. Really. Told you I'd only stay around until he mustered the guts to step up. And he did. So."

"O-okay..."

"Tell you what. As soon as you're allowed to walk out of your house, call me and I'll treat you to lunch. Deal?"

Lunch. Jeez, the cunning bastard played her own gambits on her! A chuckle escaped her lips.

"Only if I get to choose the restaurant. You're not taking me to one of those sordid holes you use to visit."

"Jeez, Reg, wanna break me?"

"Hey, farewell lunch. It's gotta be decent. I've earned it, haven't I."

Taylor let out a sigh that made her laugh again.

"Like I could say no to you... Okay, call me."

"You bet."

"Take care."

"You too."

Gillian disconnected with an affectionate smile and traded phone for remote control. She turned on the TV and slid further into bed. She watched random shows until she couldn't keep her eyes open. Then she set the timer for another hour. She wanted to fall asleep still watching TV. Like a perfect modern idiot. She couldn't help dreaming, but this way she could help thinking. And feeling. She didn't want to do any of it. Ever again.