2. writing on the wall

The chief nurse of the night shift found Cassidy and Aldana sitting at each side of Gillian's bed

The chief nurse of the night shift found Cassidy and Aldana sitting at each side of Gillian's bed. The grouchy woman tried to kick them out because IC stood for Intensive Care, in case they didn't know, and rules and patient out and-Cassidy's badge put an end to the argument. The woman's glare promised vengeance, but she left the room and let them be.

Cassidy went after her in no hurry, only to close the curtains of the glass wall and leave the door ajar.

"We should send Cooper a picture of that nurse," he said, strolling back to Gillian's bed. "That's her future if she doesn't divorce Mattock soon."

Aldana only arched her eyebrows, eyes down on her phone, too busy texting Russell.

Cassidy stood by Gillian's feet, hands in his pockets. "Hope she gets discharged soon."

Now Aldana did look up at him. "Come again?"

He shrugged. "She should be there when they get their promotions."

"They?"

Cassidy flashed one of his smirks. "The Deputy Director cut a deal with the DOJ. He alleged personal reasons to resign in order to avoid going to trial with his friend Graff. But his chair won't be vacant much longer, which means a lot of people will get a step or two higher in the food chain. Rumor has it Wright is getting a new post."

"Wright as in your boss Wright? He's gonna be the FBI Number Two?"

"Not permanently. But he'll be filling that chair until the DC SAC takes it. Then he'll be ADD or Chief of Staff. Big changes coming up."

"Reg always says Wright is the kinda shark she likes."

"And he sure likes her now more than ever."

"You think he's promoting her too?"

Cassidy heard the alarm Aldana tried to hide and shook his head. "Nah. He knows she works best in the field, with you guys. But bet she's getting a nice commendation over this."

"She sure earned it. And who's getting his EAD office?"

"Dunno yet."

"Thought it'd be you. No pats on your shoulder this time?"

"I'm supposed to be grateful I wasn't asked to quit as well. Second chances and all that shit."

"Well, you should."

"You too, Miles?"

Aldana mirrored his smirk. "Maybe you can fool them, Cassidy. Not us. Don't think that because I'm keeping Ron and Fred from beating the shit outta you, I wouldn't love to punch your lights out myself."

Cassidy scoffed. "And what will it take to redeem myself?"

"Understand that we don't do politics, and we ain't nobody's pets." Aldana's chin pointed at Gillian. "This woman isn't only the best LEO I've known in fifteen years of duty. She's also the most honest. When she says something's off, you can bet your hand she's right. If you can't see what she means, take a look under the rug and you'll find the dirt she smells. So next time, you better think twice before standing against her. 'Cause next time, we ain't letting you cling to us to save your ass when shit hits the fan. You want us to trust you? Prove you have her back, no matter what your patrons say."

Cassidy arched his eyebrows. "That's okay for the team, Miles. The real world doesn't work like that."

"Sure. Real world always gives second chances to blind fools."

Cassidy tried to come up with some smart quip and failed. He breathed deep and turned to look down at Gillian again. Even Wright had somehow supported Aldana's words. That night after Gillian's hearing about Graff, Wright had called Cassidy to tell him what the brass had decided.

"You're damn lucky she's your agent and you recruited her, Roy. Else, you'd be going down too. Not because we think you're a part of this, but for being such a blind fool. She kept showing you the writing on the wall and you refused to see it over politics. Thought you knew better."

Aldana smiled when Cassidy kept quiet and decided to give him a break.

"Cooper said Irene's mother's gonna stand trial in a couple of weeks," she said.

Cassidy nodded, his eyes still on Gillian. "Yeah, and Graff won't take long. They wanna keep the scandal threat up their sleeve as leverage on the GOP."

"Bringing it up would only help Trump."

"They know, but Democrats also know a shit storm's coming their way at the Hill after the presidential election, no matter which GOP candidate wins. Anything to help'em cut some deals would do."

Aldana was about to reply when her phone buzzed.

"Sorry, gotta take this one," she said, and stood up to head out as she picked up. "Hey, T."

"Hey, Al. How's Reg?"

Aldana strolled past the nurse station toward the vending machines. "Still out. You? Babysitting?"

"Yeah. I don't think you're gonna have to watch over her much longer. Guess who called me just now."

"You lost me. What does Brandon have to do with Reg?"

"What? Jeez, Al, get yourself a coffee and wake up. Why would Bran call me?"

"You're asking me?"

"Oh, shut up. I wasn't talking about him-wait." The girl's voice sounded muffled when she covered her phone. "Try that and you're dead." Her voice was normal again. "Damn boys, gonna kill'em bloody. They teamed up against me!" She raised her voice. "Gonna slice your throats one by one!"

Aldana frowned, then she heard the laughter and loud voices on the other end of the line. "Oh, you mean in a game."

"Really, Al. Get some coffee."

"Gonna tell me who called you?"

"Oh, that. Agent Brockner."

"Something on the shooter?"

"Cold, cold. He asked me to find a flower shop open this late."

"Shut the door!"

"Oh, yes. So I guess you're having company in a while."

One of the elevators jingled open behind Aldana, who smiled. "Prince Charming's in the building," she said, turning around, coffee in hand. "Sooner than..." She trailed off at seeing the tall man who strode out of the elevator and straight to the nurse station. "Shit!" Gotta go, T!"

"What? What's going on?"

"The King's here!"