21. wednesday eve

Brock's hand on the knob caused a stampede down the hall

Brock's hand on the knob caused a stampede down the hall. He held the door for Gillian and invested that moment to wear his best poker face. However, when they headed together for the elevators, there was nobody in sight. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her scan the hall and narrow her eyes, as if smelling the ambush.

"They're all hiding in the staff kitchen and the techs' room," he said in his flattest tone.

Gillian sighed. "Shouldn't have asked Russell what time you were arriving."

"You could've asked me."

She chuckled. Even in the middle of the hardest, most feared leap of her life, she couldn't help enjoying that ironic humor of his.

It was only obvious that all the elevators would be busy, and that they'd take ages to register the call from the fourth floor.

Brock and Gillian waited side by side before the closed steel doors. She glanced up at him and smiled at his blank scowl fixed on the stubborn things refusing to open. He'd sunk his hands in his pockets, as if to keep from reaching hers. She needed to say something, else she'd laugh out loud like a frigging idiot.

"Are you gonna call me by my name now?" she asked softly.

Brock kept his eyes on the sliding doors. If he met her eyes now, security feeds would have them fired within an hour due to improper explicit behavior in a federal facility.

"That's not on me," he replied, grave and controlled.

He breathed deep when the steel doors reflected her smile, a world of promises on its own.

She looked away from him. "Then you will. Tomorrow."

Brock clenched his fists inside his pockets, but that didn't ease the delicious tingling of anticipation in his fingertips. Just in case, he thought clarification wouldn't harm anybody.

"Tomorrow breakfast."

Gillian smiled wider, knowing he'd appreciate the detail. "Well, today's Tuesday, right?"

Brock closed his eyes for a second, his thin lips pursed as he fought back a smile.

One of the elevators jingled open and he stepped aside to let her in first. There was a shuffle of hurried moves in the staff kitchen when they turned around inside the booth and faced the hall.

Gillian's smile was mocking as she said, loud and clear, "Night, lads."

An invisible choir replied, giggles mixed with words, "Night, Reg."

.

BLACKBIRD SERIES

THE END

.

If you feel like reading other stories I've written in English, check the book trailers next.

And if you wanna read a little more Blackbird, go on to the bonus episode.

If you want help me grow as an author, remember you can find the whole BLACKBIRD series on Amazon on ebook and paperback