3. them royals

Aldana disconnected, already launched on an interception course to keep King Gillian from reaching his daughter's room

"Can I help you, sir?" she asked, standing in the doorway just a second before he got there.

King Gillian stopped and frowned, recognizing her. "You're in Reg's team."

"Yes, sir. How can I help you?"

"You could step aside, for starters. I'm here to see my daughter."

Aldana heard Cassidy approaching from behind her. Knowing she had backup, she dared to hold King Gillian's dark blue eyes and shake her head.

"I'm sorry, sir, but you can't."

Aldana realized that over the past year she'd been overexposed to glares. Gillian, Cooper, Brock... All of a sudden, King Gillian's furrowed brow didn't look so frightening as it used to.

"Of course I can. I'm her father. Now move."

The chief nurse signaled at them to keep their voices down. Another useless glare.

"I know who you are, sir. But Reg's been through two surgeries after being shot. She's not stable yet, and she's still sedated. You two hardly spoke since she quit the PD, and never in good terms. I'm not exposing her to the stress of seeing you here. A stress she's not in shape to take."

Cassidy stood one step behind Aldana, glad to see he wasn't the only one getting scolded that night. King Gillian tried to speak and he cut him off.

"Everything okay, Miles?"

"Yes, sir. This is Reg's—"

"I know who he is." Cassidy met King Gillian's eyes with a mild smile, hands in his pockets, and a casual tone designed to make the other man go homicidal. "He's the sissy who sent his men to shoot his daughter, 'cause he ain't got a pair to do it himself."

King Gillian's face darkened in a way that would've caused a massive panic attack throughout the PD. Bad thing these were feds, and it only made Cassidy smile wider.

"And you are?" growled King Gillian, clenching his fists.

"Roy Cassidy, FBI's Violent Crimes Section Chief." Aldana admired his skill to capitalize the words. "And thanks to you, Gillian's my agent now. So here's the situation: the federal agent in this room was shot, and we're the federal agents watching over her. You, mister, ain't seeing her unless she says otherwise. Which will take at least a couple of days. Good night."

King Gillian's growl was like cocking a gun. "Step out of my way."

Cassidy glanced at Aldana. "Tell the nurses to call security."

Aldana hadn't even moved when something started beeping loud at the nurse station. The chief nurse sprinted to Gillian's room as another woman checked her monitor before running after her.

"The oxymeter dropped to zero!"

The other three barely had time to give them way to storm into Gillian's room.

"What's going on?" whispered King Gillian.

"I—I don't know," muttered Aldana.

From the hall, they saw the nurses check the monitoring equipment at both sides of the bed, as well as Gillian's vitals. One of them frowned down at her at the same time the other one grabbed Gillian's hand. Her lips were easy to read when she mouthed, "What the hell?" Still holding Gillian's hand, she picked up the white pin of the oxymeter from the bed. She was about to pin it back to Gillian's finger, but stopped when the chief nurse leaned in toward Gillian's face.

Aldana and Cassidy traded a look when the chief nurse straightened up, clearly outraged, while the other nurse smiled. They traded a few words and walked out. The chief nurse glared at them—Aldana wondered if she needed a tee reading, 'immune to glares'.

"Told you to keep it down!" the woman grumbled on her way out.

The other nurse paused with a nice smile. "She wants to see her father."

Before Aldana and Cassidy could react, King Gillian was already in the room, pulling up a chair to the bed. He sat there and took his daughter's hand. From the door, they saw she didn't move, her eyes still closed. But she pressed her father's hand, which made him kiss her fingers. None of them said a word.

Aldana knew Gillian enough to tell she was asleep again. Holding her father's hand. She nodded at Cassidy to step away from the door.

"Let's hope the King doesn't stay long. Brockner's on his way, and if he finds the King here..."

"But I told Brockner..." Cassidy trailed off and scoffed. He pointed at Aldana's coffee. "Where d'you get that?"

"Big black thing with color buttons down the hall. They call it vending machine."

"Y'know I am still your boss, right, Miles?"

"Who knew."